LegacyGT.com

Smells like rotten egg...bad cat?

kevinh

So, after getting on my car a little bit today...I immediately noticed a strong smell of rotten eggs from my exhaust. Does that mean my cat is bad...or going?

I'm pissed....2 yrs. ago when I re-did the exhaust, I replaced the dp with a Turbo XS dp w/ 3" high flow cat. So, now I need a new one...that sucks! What's going to happen....the odor gets worst? Cat begins to break up?

KevinH

The oder will be there until you replace it or gut it. If you leave it; the cat will probably break up and start to rattle around and eventually blow into your resonator(if oyu have one) and your mufflers. Just gut it and be cattless or replace it.
Let's kick this pig!

If it's the first time you're smelling it though; I'd just write it off as a bad tank of gas or winter gas and get gas from a different station and see if it persists. If it is going you can gut and go cattless. Or, I suppose you could find a new Hi-flow Cat with the same inlet/outlet size and same diameter and have it welded in. Just trying to give you some short term options as I know nobody wants to drop another $400-$600 on a new catted DP.
Let's kick this pig!

Maybe bad gas...I'll see if it persists....thanks. If it's a leak...I don't here it, and why would you get that smell from a leak?

Now, I've read people that go cat-less also get a mild odor of eggs. Why is that?

KevinH

im 95% sure i have a leak, i just havent gotten my car on a lift yet but a leak smells more like gas when idling or getting on it rather then rotten eggs

this may lead of track, but dont you get the "stink" or an awful smell similar to rotten eggs when your clutch it slipping??

pesky cats. Must've gotten in through the intake.

Probably going after the rats!

Seriously though. Wife and I opened her trunk the the other day to put some groceries in and there was a little ball of what looked like insulation with some chewed up paper grocery bags (that we forgot to take in with us). Sure enough found chew marks on the paper bags and a little pile of rat droppings too. Fortunately no one was home! :lol: :lol:

Still trying to figure out how the little bastard got in!

but dont you get the "stink" or an awful smell similar to rotten eggs when your clutch it slipping??

Clutch burning smells different....more like burnt of brakes or something...not eggs.

Maybe before gutting, I'll to get it on a lift and check for a leak. I just don't see how a leak would cause a smell.

KevinH

Rotten egg smell is usually normal when you beat on the car, it gets a little rich and the sulfur content in the fuel builds up in the converter and it gets stinky.

It also depends on the type of precious metals used in the converter. The really expensive converters usually don't emit as much rotten egg smell.

Archived