LegacyGT.com

How to use an inexpensive cheap rice cooker?

godwhomismike

I keep burning the rice with it. It was a cheap 8-cup rice cooker given to me as a present. Doesn't have full instructions, and the minimal instructions given always results in burnt rice.

How much water for how many cups and how long generally?

I am using 3/4 cup rice w/ 1 cup water. Rice always ends up hard as a rock and burnt to the bottom.

It should have graduations on the side of the cooker that demark the proper water level for the number of cups of rice. Rice cookers typically come w/ a small, approximately 200 ml cup for measuring rice "cups." If you don't have it, don't worry. Just add rice, rinse the crap out of it, dump the dirty rinse water, and fill it up with enough water so that the water level is approximately 1 inch above the rice. For 3 cups or less, you can probably reduce this to 3/4 inch. For 6 cups or more, you might want to go 1 1/4 inch over.

If your cooking long grain, wash the rice, and when you fill water make sure rice is spread evenly on bottom of the cooker, then stick your index finger in, tip of finger should touch top layer of the rice (dont poke finger down to bottom of pot). Put enough water so that water comes up to the first joint (line) of your index finger, so probably just above your index nail cuticle. That should give you perfect rice everytime.

Note.. if you feel the rice is too dry, add more water next time, and the opposite if the rice is too damp. You can do it by trial and error. The water should generally cover the rice by 5-10 mm. for small batches.. (2-4 cups of rice)

Guest heightsgtltd
We eat a lot of rice, and got this rice machine by a company called Zohirushi (sp?) that makes perfect rice every time. It's pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
If your cooking long grain, wash the rice, and when you fill water make sure rice is spread evenly on bottom of the cooker, then stick your index finger in, tip of finger should touch top layer of the rice (dont poke finger down to bottom of pot). Put enough water so that water comes up to the first joint (line) of your index finger, so probably just above your index nail cuticle. That should give you perfect rice everytime.

^^^+1 That is exactly how I cook for the past 20 year too.:icon_wink

I found the brand of rice is important ... see attached picture

Also forget the measuring cups

First using your finger as a guide, fill the pot with rice until the first knuckle is covered

Second rinse the rice until the water runs mostly clear

Third Fill the pot with water until your second knuckle is covered

Perfect rice every time

0123081705.JPG.527d10a55d67331957a16e20199df5c7.JPG

• 2 months later...

Ok its been a few months now, how is the rice situation?

I bought a plastic ricecooker for the microwave once. When i first moved out on my own.

The instructions were easy to follow and the rice actually turned out ok. I only used it a few times because my mom bought me a real rice cooker.

Probably feared the microwave's magical Yeet Hay powers.

what's a rice cooker? Whats wrong with just making rice the regular way? :lol:
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Silly yuppies and their starbucks, ipods and rice cookers :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Guest heightsgtltd
Silly yuppies and their starbucks, ipods and rice cookers :lol:

except rice cookers have been used in Asia for years

except rice cookers have been used in Asia for years

wow the asians are too much cooler than us :rolleyes::lol:

Guest heightsgtltd

:confused:

It's a great way to cook rice (mine does it perfectly), and you can have it waiting for you done when you get home from work when you set it in the morning. What's so odd about that?

Archived