LegacyGT.com

Do I really need new rotors & pads?

SlightlyEvil

had my car in for the 96,000km service and like always, the dealer suggests replacing/machining the pads/rotors. I normally turn them down because this is a big money getter for em and I can examine the brakes myself and see if they're really that bad. I know the pads need replacing now, and the rotors probably could use it after this mileage.

They want $535 for the front and $450 for the rears installed. EEP.

Is completely replacing/upgrading the rotors really difficult to do? I'm comfortable enough to get under the car and dismantle the exhaust system now thanks to PhilT, so with a friend helping me I should be able to do a good (read SAFE) job on the brakes, right?

I'm considering going to DBA 4000 slotted rotors and HPS pads. Keeping in mind this isn't a track car and it's my DD does anyone hae any better suggestions?

That seals it then. For $500 I can get DBAs and HPS pads. I can tell when my pads are knackered but how do you know when the rotors are REALLY in need of replacement? They always say grooves in the rotors mean they need replacing but I doubt that. Worst case they just wear the pads faster right?

I just did my brakes 2 days ago. 50,000 miles on the car and the front pads had plenty of meat still on them but the rears were down to 2mm left which meant they had to be replaced.

I ordered Hawk HPS pads for all around and took the rotors down and had them turned.

This has gotta be the easiest car I've ever done brakes on.

Total cost in the end to me ~$200 bucks total.

I just did my brakes 2 days ago. 50,000 miles on the car and the front pads had plenty of meat still on them but the rears were down to 2mm left which meant they had to be replaced.

I ordered Hawk HPS pads for all around and took the rotors down and had them turned.

This has gotta be the easiest car I've ever done brakes on.

Total cost in the end to me ~$200 bucks total.

Nice!! How do you like the HPS pads so far?

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

holy crap thats alot of money. I bought all my stuff from the king of parts on here and had way under that price. Picked up some Hawk HPS and OEM rotors. I love em. The only downfall to them is in the rain. You have to let them warm up for a second before they grab. other than that, you sill smack your head on the winshield if you brake too hard.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Phil - thats interesting. I'm not sure where I'd go in toronto to get them machined properly, have to look around.

So what is the typical lifespan for our rotors anyways?

I've got almost 130,000 kms on the original rotors so far, and still going strong.

It totally depends on the type of driving though, mine is 80% highway with not a great deal of braking.

Archived