LegacyGT.com

Variable Clutch Engagement Point?

hal9e3

I originally asked this question in this thread but it's kinda buried and Transmissions now have their own forum so I'll repeat it here. I've been noticing for a while now that the clutch engagement point varies w/ revs. During normal driving it's about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way from the floor. However, at low speeds/revs it's very close to the floor, to the point where it's very hard to keep the car from creeping at a stop sign/light when in gear and occasionally stalling the engine when shifting from reverse to 1st. Any ideas what's causing this, and what, if anything, can be done about it? This is an Unorthodox Racing clutch and LWFW setup.

Nah, it behaves differently depending on the engine load and apparently other factors. Sometimes it creeps w/ the pedal almost all the way to floor, sometimes it doesn't. Someone on the other thread suggested adjusting the clutch pedal travel and I think I'll try that to see if it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to adjust the pedal travel? I have 60k miles on stock clutch... starting at around 40k the engagement point moved to near the floor and it's stayed there. I was grinding gears a few times a week until I finally realized it was happening because the clutch engagement is so close to the floor, now I'm more careful and rarely grind.

Anyway, I had both a dealership and independent shop look at it, both told me there's nothing they can adjust and nothing can be done other than replacing the clutch for $1500-1800. I'd love to know if there's something cheaper I can do to bring the engagement point back to where it should be.

I think what you are feeling is based upon RPMs. My SPEC Stage2 and LWFW feels grabby/jerky at 1K RPMs but will start to grab much lower on the pedal at about 1/4. I would call this the beginning point of the engagement. When the revs are higher; you don't feel that grab until the pedal is released a little further since the clutch disc is now slipping and not being so grabby. Mine engages perfectly smooth and stock like(1/3 released) at 1200-2K RPMs. Now if I'm at the track and I rev to 2500-3500RPMs I have to let the clutch about 1/2 out before it starts to grab. I think it's just a matter of the friction and spinning mass being able to engage. With the higher RPMS; the pressure plate kinda wants to hang loose for just a bit longer than low R starts. If I accidentally rev to 4K and am slow letting the clutch out; mine doesn't even like to grab. It's like the clutch is .5sec behind the movement of my foot and just kinda dumps it's self.

As for the creeping; you may want to check you clutch master cylinder or adjust the clutch pedal travel as you said earlier. First check the clutch master cylinder function by pressing the cluth fork toward the engine. The fluid in the CMC should rise slightly as you do this. If it does not your CMC may need to be replaced. I changed the fluid in my clutch system to DOT4 after the install since they didn't bleed it when they didthe install.

After my install; I messed with my pedal travel for about a week before it settled down and stayed right. If travel is too long; you will go through the release point and start to re-engage. This was my problem at first. If I pushed the pedal to the floor; I couldn't shift. I had to stay about 1" off the floor to shift clean even when standing still. Then when I shortened the throw a little too much; I couldn't shift and I got some TOB squeal. There is a sweet spot in the adjustment rod (above the gas pedal where the adjustment rod will move freely side to side with no friction so it's not binding from being to long or too short. This is supposed to be the correct setting. I think I have mine adjusted slightly to the short side. After you get that adjusted correctly; you also need to adjust the clutch release sensor at the top of the cluth pedal. After you adjust the throw; this sensor will probably not seat flush and will kick off the cruise when you hit a bump in the road or even make it so the cruise won't work at all. Good Luck.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived