LegacyGT.com

CB Radio

Rimfaxe

Anyone install a Citizen Band Radio? I'm thinking about installing this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005N5WW/qid=1104025244/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-0298788-0269578?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

most of the controls are on the mic. so I think I could install the small box under the center console or under one of the seats. The mic should be able to tuck away- under the seat or in the center cubby.

The radio contains the weather channels and I thougt that it might be fun on my weekend 100 mile runs to the coast.

Anyone done one of these yet?

Rimfaxe

I installed a 75WXSt in my LGT wagon over a year ago, I put the power supply under the driver's seat. The mike rests in the center console cubby. I only use it for long trips so the antenna is mounted on the rear crossbar. I use an five foot K-40 antenna (tuned)

The whole setup works pretty well considering it compactness. The squelch is touchy!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Hmmm, interesting. Any pics of your install?

I have been considering magnet mount, but hate possibility of scratching the paint or even worse damaging the car if antenna falls off accidentaly. OTOH, it has potential for nice stealth install; check pictures here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11178&postcount=16

Second option is indeed crossbar mount.

Third was permanent mount INSIDE roof rail - by utiltizing one of the existing holes. Would require drilling in the roof rack only (last "small" section of it). Most involved but trurly stealthy...

I wonder if I mount in on the side (in the roof tail), I will have ground plane problems (close to the edge of the car).

• 3 weeks later...

if you're still looking for antennas, check out radio shack, or similar store... there's a glass mount CB antenna, looks like cellphone style, but taller. They also offer a scanner antenna in a similar style...

on one of my old vehicles I had the cb whip on one side and the scanner whip on the other side of the vehicle, to be visually balanced. (and I was running a cb and scanner)

then there's nothing on paint, and it's not obvious that you're running a CB, and since you have the rear windows of the wagon, you have plenty of glass to mount to

Hmmm, interesting. Any pics of your install?

I wonder if I mount in on the side (in the roof tail), I will have ground plane problems (close to the edge of the car).

yes, you'd have ground plane problems as well as reduced range, and all sorts of other issues resulting from not properly grounding the magnetic base of the antenna and the horizontal vs vertical mounting

• 1 year later...

It's not in my Legacy but attached is a picture of the CB I had in my Honda. It was mounted into the center console and completely disappeared with the lid closed. You could pull the mic out and close the lid and still hear the speaker clearly if the radio was turned down (I had a pretty loud exhaust too).

I had an external glass mount antenna on the drivers side rear window (it was a Civic coupe). It worked pretty well and got a few miles of range but the antenna eventually broke about halfway down and then it only worked about line of sight after that.

A buddy and I both bought them when we install them but he then sold his car and cell phones plans just got so damn cheap, it never really got used. When my fiance and were still in college I'd be driving home from seeing her and I'd use it to BS with truckers while on the highway. It was great for when you get stuck in an accident though since the guys coming the other way will tell you what mile marker the accident is at and such. They also usually call out speedtrap warnings but I don't do much speeding anymore.

cb006.jpg.2c3064672917ae967948f081ebfba2f5.jpg

Archived