LegacyGT.com

MPG reader inaccurate

Subaru is not a car company for everyone. They never try to be. They offer a line of very safe feature rich cars with AWD. They get as good or better milage than anything offered with AWD. My current LGT gets about the same milage as my first subaru did. The difference is over 1000lbs and about 200hp, but I get the same MPG. I don't know how many cars you have worked on mechanically speaking, but I'd rather work on a subaru over a honda, toyota, ford or chevy any day. Guess that makes me a gearhead.

You admitted you bought you car mostly on the "safety" of AWD and the looks. You simply can't have it all. Direct injection will help effeciency, and we'll be seeing that soon. But that doesn't mean that MPG will increase. To be more competitive in the market they may decide to make more power. If you feel safer with your AWD, congratulations, you bought one of the BEST AWD systems out there. Your previous car probably would have be fine in the rain given proper tires and rates of speed.

Buying a car on looks is like marrying a complete b!+ch because shes hot. Geo sold a lot of storms in the early 90's...

Subaru is building competitive product in a superior way. They didn't get the highest reliabilty rating by sitting on their butts.

Lots of this has been beat up and down on this board. MPG threads are out there, search.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Correction the American perception of Subaru is "very safe feature rich cars with AWD" they still offer lower end cars in other markets (example: Justy) that could probably go toe to toe with the Fit and other compacts now fitting the markets. Its that highend perception that is going to be the downfall of Subaru. Look at Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo and other "high end" niche market cars that offer mostly heavy vehicles with AWD and thirsty engines... they aren't doing so hot with rising gas prices. Even BMW has Mini, Mercedes has Smart, Audi has VW.. not to mention in other markets they offer small vehicles aswell if you've ever been to Europe you'd know what I'm talkin about, what does Subaru have to fall back on when times are getting tougher?

Stealerships neglect the "relative easy" repairs on the vehicles and still charge arms and legs for their parts and services. Personally I could work on my own car, my new home has a garage but I don't have the time/tools nor do I want to risk voiding my warranty just yet. (If you wanted to know I've mostly worked on wheels/suspension on my old car and intake/exhaust but nothing as complex as internals or transmissions.)

I won't argue they are building very competition vehicles, yet the niche they are looking at is drying up.

Subaru sold Justys in the US briefly. Nobody bought them. You are trying to compare Subaru to BMW, Ford etc in the international market. Thats like comparing a pickup to an 18 wheeler. Subaru is a very small car company with limited resources. They can't prop up a money loser like Smart until it catches on the way Mercedes has. Subaru's answer to the new CAFE law will undoubtedly be the new diesel 6 they just introduced in Europe. And yes, you can criticize Subaru here, we all do. But why whine about something you should have known about before you bought the car? Why diss the major design features of your new ride. Subaru believes (and I agree) the boxer is an advantage over an I4. The car you say Subaru should be building is already in the marketplace under a dozen brands. Subaru chooses quite deliberately to be different. You may be interested in knowing that Acura is rumored to be building AWD versions of the TL and TSX. Should be your dream ride.
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

I guess I'll save my ranting until next year. I'm guessing winter fuels/cold/bad weather are the major factors in my low mpg so I'll be patient until the summer fuel mix comes out. Is there anyway to know when that "switch" occurs? I like the TL/TSX styling but they seem to be contending more with a LGT than the N/A.

Currently on a tank with 29.7 mpg computer average over 260mi (with 210mi still left according to the computer) This is because I'm back to long highway commutes and trying to stay at low speeds to see the best I can get out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my up to date readings in graph form: MPG vs Days (starting with my first date as 1)

Red = AMPG (Car's Trip Average)

Blue = CMPG (Calculated Miles/Gallons)

Green = Difference

From the linears you see that the difference is about 1mpg. The lower the mpg the closer the AMPG and CMPG seem to be. OR it might be a factor of time/temperature with gasoline evaporating.

The drop MPGs I account for mostly city/local driving plus winter weather/fuels. The large increase is me trying to see how well I can do on the highways now that I'm back at school.

Currently after 190mi on this next tank with 30.3mpg on the computer's trip.

The trip each way is 65mi, 75% highway.

LegacyMPG.png.3e36be6bb54276d49dd081246d332ff1.png

• 2 months later...

Well I thought I'd bump the thread with an update on my MPG (Probably last one I can do with an Excel Graph since I'll be graduating). So after being back at home I think I'll have more city/traffic and shorter trip commutes so I hope it doesn't suffer too much as it did during the winter when I hit as low as 18-21mpg.

So my three newest updates are:

Date----Station-- Price--Gallons--Total-Miles--Trip-CMPG-AMPG-Diff

04/13/08 Forbes $3.339 12.009 $40.10 19603 362.8 30.2 31.8 1.6

03/29/08 711 ---$3.259 14.372 $46.84 19241 404.0 28.1 29.1 1.0

03/02/08 Forbes $3.199 13.912 $44.50 18837 393.7 28.3 29.4 1.1

Currently on a tank about 300mis showing 33.0 so I'm hoping I'll at least break 31.5mpg after I calculate from the fill up.

I think the Legacy suffers from deminishing returns where when you reach a higher than usual MPG on the computer, the actual result is lower than usually, as seen by the 1.6 difference on 4/13/08.

So overall just by sticking a more conservative pace of driving and (LOTS of self control from speeding) I improved my overall fuel efficiency by about 5mpg (20%).

LegacyMPG.png.df5ae981a11548c916b3fa3db7cde533.png

Archived