LegacyGT.com

Heavy steering

UniqueTII

I've searched on this but I didn't come up with anything (perhaps using the wrong key words or something).

My steering on my '05 LGT feels quite heavy at any speed. It makes my WRX feel like I'm steering a Cadillac. The car has Ion springs and a Cusco rear sway but other than that the suspension is stock and I'm running on stock wheels and tires for the winter. What should I look into to track this issue down? Should my steering really be that heavy?

I apologize for my poor writing today...I've been awake for way too long.

in my limited experience, all subarus that i have driven have had noticeably heavier steering than other cars. i know it doesn't help your situation, but i say if there is no other abnormal behavior and if it doesn't feel like you are trying to steer an old non-power steering equipped vehicle, than there is nothing to worry about.

Fluid level is good (fluid is clean too) and I don't hear any noises when going lock to lock. The only other symptom I can think of is that the car doesn't seem to react as quickly to steering input as my WRX. Should I start with steering rack bushings?

I have a friend with an '05 with stock suspension who just put his stock wheels back on this weekend. Perhaps I can drive his and see if there's a difference.

in my limited experience, all subarus that i have driven have had noticeably heavier steering than other cars. i know it doesn't help your situation, but i say if there is no other abnormal behavior and if it doesn't feel like you are trying to steer an old non-power steering equipped vehicle, than there is nothing to worry about.

There is a huge difference between my Legacy and my '02 WRX though. :spin: Maybe the weight of the car has something to do with it.

• 3 months later...
I have an 07 Spec and noticed today that it took more effort and felt heavier to turn the wheel. I haven't had an alignment done yet but I too was looking for a mod to either tighten up or gain a quicker response with less effort in steering. Does anyone have an idea?

Check the tire pressures.

Check the alignment.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived