LegacyGT.com

CEL Hell (2005 OBXT)

bikegeek

Ok - here's the situation. I've got a automatic 2005 OBXT. It's been running well... until just recently. It's been getting a CEL pretty much every other week - taken to Sheehy Subaru here in NOVA. They're puzzled. Unfortunately I don't have the codes, but here's what happens:

Driving w/ cruise control on the highway, all of a sudden - cruise stops and CEL.

After getting it reset, we can drive w/out cruise control and no CEL.

The dealer has changed the fuel cap the 2nd time it happend. This 3rd time, they left the ticket opened. Now, I'm up to the 4th.

Not much has changed in our driving habits. Usually get gas at the same place (Shell down the street does $0.10 off on the weekends.) Maybe a few longer trips to visit my sis-in-law (~30 - 45 minutes each way on the highway, twice a week - funny think is it seems to always happen on the way to/from her place.)

Any clues? Anything I should/Dealership should look into?

Thanks!

does the OB have the white connectors in the little compartment like the GT's?

OP - on 05's that little area above the fuse panel there is a trim piece that comes off. There are two white connectors in there. connect them and hit your trip odo. it should spit a code out if you indeed have a code that has not been reset. now i dont know if the OB have this feature but i know the GT's do. You can always listen to what the dealerships say. you better take action yourself.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 2 weeks later...

So, I found the connector as RaGe explained - that's a great feature. Found I was getting a P0442. Took to the dealer the 4th time and got a new Fuel Cap again.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? They've checked the fuel lines for leaks - they can only figure the cap isn't tight enough. My wife (who's the primary driver) tightens it up with "three clicks" - so I doubt it's too loose.

Anybody have anything they could suggest for me to look into? Could it be the type of gas? (as I said earlier, we normally get gas at the same place... found the place about the same time the first CEL... I'm going to have my wife try to avoid the place and see if it resolves... if a month goes by and I get no 0442, we'll try that station again.)

This is getting pretty annoying.

Also, is there an easy way to reset a CEL?

Archived