LegacyGT.com

Problem with a LOOSE-clunking sound

hey guys over the past few months this sound has been getting worse, today i heard this clunking/loose sound the loudest since the sound appeared.

i went over a pot hole while making a slight (left) turn, and it literally sounded like the wheel wasnt connected up to the car. it was a clunk as though the wheel when reverberating from the bump was hitting metal. then it hit it a few more times with a decreasing strength, like the clunk was subsiding. Can this be associated at all with a blown strut? messed up top hat? axel? cv joint? please help.

i have 62k miles on my OEM struts and ive had H-techs for about 40-45 thousand miles. does this sound like a blown strut?

according to my subaru tech, they said my right front struts are almost dead and need to be replaced, so i will be buying a set of slightly used OEM struts with about 10k miles on them. is there anything or anyone that has this clunking from going over uneven pavement.

9 times out of 10 its a swaybar issue. If the noise only occus over uneven surfaces or when only one side of the car hits a bump, its the sway bar bushings or endlinks. struts also make noises when they go bad, but you will hear it all the time.

9 times out of 10 its a swaybar issue. If the noise only occus over uneven surfaces or when only one side of the car hits a bump, its the sway bar bushings or endlinks. struts also make noises when they go bad, but you will hear it all the time.

tomorrow im gunna be checking on this. as far as the front sway bar bushing, i had the bushing and bracket replaced on the passenger and driver side within the last 4 or 5k miles and the probelm was there before and and is still there. as far as the endlinks...do they go bad? how can i check if the problem still persists? whats the best way to diagnose an endlink problem?

i went over a pot hole while making a slight (left) turn, and it literally sounded like the wheel wasnt connected up to the car. it was a clunk as though the wheel when reverberating from the bump was hitting metal.

Sounds to me like it is a blown strut..

An old school ghetto way to check is to push down (or sit) on fender over the wheel and then release wieght off ot it quickly, if the car bounces before it settles it is likely the strut. Be careful not to dent your fender..

• 11 months later...

Endlinks can go bad. I've seen a few ppl on here with trashed ones after installing sways. I'm pretty sure mine are shot or close to it. :rolleyes:

But thats usually a 'clunk'ing sound like whitetiger said when going over uneven pavement.

Hit another pothole and post the video :lol:

Archived