LegacyGT.com

Transmission slipping?

washmyscooby

Hey All... 2007 Legacy 2.5i with 4EAT automatic. I notice when accel normally (from a stop)once the car shifts to 2nd gear as soon as the rpms hit about 2500 rpm, the rpms kind of drop to about 2200 rpms, then pull the rest of the way through the gear. It is almost like a shift, but the transmission stays in the same gear. It doesnt seem to do it when I shift manually, only when its in regular driving mode. I have never noticed it before. Anyone have any ideas? Does your car do it too?

I don't have that new of a soob, but it might be locking the torque converter shortly after shifting to second, thus the rpm drop you noted? Some of the newer transmissions require the right Subaru 5EAT ATF or they will shift funny. The newer ATF is more heavily friction modified and using the wrong ATF can make the clutches too 'grabby' resulting shift shudder and other odd behavior. Sometimes if your 4eat resistor has gone open it will give increased shift shock, since the line pressure is not adequately controlled.

• 10 months later...
I have a 2005 with the 4EAT auto and it should lock the torque converter in 3rd and 4th gears dropping now lower than 500 rpm. I thought I was having to rebuild it until I talked to the auto mechanics teacher at my school....basically it saves gas. wow sorry to bump and old thread but it might help someone else out

Archived