LegacyGT.com

A smaller or flat bottom steering wheel?

Atroz

Hello,

I'd like to find myself a little more knee room in my 07 LGT. I have my steering wheel tilted all the way up and find that I still end up with the steering wheel often touching my legs or having the cruise stalk hit my leg on cornering.

Do I have any options? Is there a wheel that's an inch smaller? Or perhaps one that has the flat bottom? I'd really like to have a wheel where there is no spoke at the 6 O'clock position. My 2002 WRX was good for this, but with the LGT, I can't put my hand at the bottom of the wheel (I know, I know, it's not 10 and 2).

Thanks.

unfortunetly i think that the cost of an aftermarket steering wheel will be quite expensive when it will have to include an airbag built into it.

in addition there might have to be two versions of a steering wheel becuase 1 would be needed for the 5EAT crew and the rest for the 5MT crew.

Does the 07 have the telescoping steering wheel? I find the only way I have enough leg room to get into my car is to tilt it almost all the way up and 100% toward me.

Unfortunately it does not. Missed it by one year. I wonder what it would cost to have one installed? Get an 08 steering column and wheel installed instead.

I asked a buddy at NC Subaru about the telescopic column swap. Just too much for to go thru with a dealership. It would cost a fortune...and he didn't think all the electronics would line up to my 05.

I searched japanparts.com for the K2 wheel....no success. Someone in those pics had it on a LGT...looked sweet. Much smaller.

KevinH

Get a Thigh Master and slim down those thick legs.

I don't think a Thigh Master would help with my knees. If your thighs are hitting the steering wheel, you're sitting MUCH to close. BTW, you've got great legs as shown on your avatar. ;)

what about lowering your seats? or having some company alter the padding in the seats so that you can have more thigh room

My problem is that my right leg doesn't quite work correctly. I got hit by a driver that wasn't paying attention a few years back and ended up with a smashed up leg. Now my ankle doesn't bend upwards, so I have to lift my leg when shifting between pedals. I think I've got the seat lowered and back as far as possible.

Just use a hand saw, problem solved. /EndThread

I don't think I like that option. The jagged ends of the wheel could impale me in an accident. Had there not been a 6 o'Clock spoke I guess I could have taken a hammer to it and bent the ring towards the center.

Archived