LegacyGT.com

an invisible passenger setting off the seat belt chime?

gary_gnu

My wife was driving home from work today (by herself) and all of a sudden the seatbelt chime started beeping and the passenger "fasten seatbelt" light above the rear view mirror started blinking. There was absolutely nothing in the passenger seat and there was nothing behind it, and she was just driving along at a normal speed, and the seat was inclined at it's normal angle. It continued beeping till she got home 10 minutes later and shut the car off. I took it for a drive later and tried to recreate the alarm, but it would only do it if I pushed on the passenger seat (with one hand) while driving (with the other hand) more than about 25 mph.

I found a TSB from a few years ago that mentioned that certain 05 models had a problem with the seat spring which caused phantom seatbelt chime warnings to go off when there's no passenger. Has anyone else had this problem? Could that be what caused my problem?

Mine has started doing it too the past couple of weeks. I now drive around with the passenger belt buckled. Effin POS. I have unplugged my driver's seat chime harness under the seat and I have to plug that back in and see if it makes a difference.
It is still ugly.

Oh, I forgot to mention the other weird thing: I did the 20-click method several weeks ago to disable the chime, and since then it has been completely silent no matter what state the driver's belt is in. Great! But now it beeps for the passenger side, and according to the 'vacation pics' (page SB-7), doing the 20-click cutoff method should apply to both the driver AND passenger side.

Same thing happened to me after I dropped a friend off. It took me awhile to figure out why the damn seatbelt chime was going off. After realizing that it was the sensor in the seat, I adjusted the seat by sliding it back and forth and tilting it. Seat sensor unstuck :-)

I thought you had to do each of the belts seperately.

From the service manual, page SB-7:

Permanent cutoff

1) How to cut: Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver’s seat belt for 20 times within 30 seconds

after turning the ignition switch ON. Enabling and disabling cutting is done with the same operation.

(The setting is changed for both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat.)

They make it sound like both seats should be disabled by doing it just on the driver's side.

I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one to have this problem now.

Archived