LegacyGT.com

yellow LEDs replacment?!

fbi012

Hi. It was mentioned in an earlier post that JDMs have red LEDs for the storage area above the dash. Now, I’m not sure if Europe and Australia have red LED's too, but I need someone to give me part numbers or bulb type and how to install so I can change mine, for both storage areas.

I’m not sure why the hell they put yellow LEDs in the first place.

Please let me know if you know anything or have comments.

ok guys I need some help. I took out the one where the manual is but I think the led cannot be removed, can anyone help me?

here are pics of the chip.

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/3278/picture0017aq.jpg

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/4411/picture0022xw.jpg

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/9748/picture0034ek.jpg

ok I just went to RadioShack and all they have is 5mm LEDs, which are abit bigger than what is there.

Does anyone know the discription of the LED? There's nothing about it in the manual! I need to know how many MCD and volts I should get..

Thanks guys.

Gel caps will not change the color of an LED. LEDs are monochromatic light sources, so there are no "other colors" that can be filtered out. If you want a different color, you must get a different LED.

The voltage on an LED is not really important (except when selecting the current limiting resistor), it is the current that is important. Usually LEDs run at 20 mA. but some times this can be too bright.

A good place to get LEDs is digikey.com (they will have a larger selection than Radio Shack)

LED stands for light emmitting DIODE. that diode bit is important since the led will only work if the polarity is correct. It is usually safe to plug them in backwards, they just won't light up that way.

Most LEDs have a forward voltage somewhere between 0.7 and 2 V, but be carefull, blue & white LEDs may go as high as 4V (White LEDs are usually made using a blue LED and a phosphor that floresses yellow in blue light.)

To set the current in an LED you need a current limiting resistor. The forward voltage on a diode is nearly independant of the current flowing through the diode, so if you hook a diode directly to the power supply, you will blow the diode. Putting a resistor in series with the diode will limit the current.

For example:

You wish to put a 20 mA current through a green LED with a 1.4V forward voltage, and your power supply is 12V.

Starting with ohms law: V=IR (voltage equals current times resistance)

we need to calculate R that will set the current to 20 mA.

Since the resistor is in series with the diode, the diode will reduce the voltage on the resistor by its forward voltage drop, so V in our equation is 12 - 1.4 or 10.6V

Since we now know V=10.6V and I=0.02A we can calculate R.

R=V/I = 10.6/.02=530 ohms

There is one more detail we need to worry about, power disapation in the resistor. Power in watts is voltage times current

P=V*I

or using ohms law again

P=(V^2)/R or P=(I^2) *R

So the power we will be disapating in the resistor is 0.02*0.02*530 = 0.212 W

Resistors commonly come in 1/8 watt, 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt, and 1 watt sizes. .212 w is between 1/8 and 1/4 watts, so we need a 1/4 watt or larger resistor.

The resistor is in series with the LED, so the electricity must go through 1st the resistor, then the LED.

There should already be a resistor built into the mount for the LED. I took that thing out and looked at it once, If I remember correctly, it was a through hole resistor. I think it was one of the old style with the value marked in a color code.

0 Black

1 Brown

2 red

3 orange

4 yellow

5 green

6 blue

7 violet

8 grey

9 white

10% silver

5% gold

20% No tolerence color

Color 1 1st digit (x)

color 2 2nd digit (y)

color 3 multiplier (z)

color 4 tolerence (W)

So resistance is: (X*10 + y) * 10^Z

So red red brown gold would be 220 ohms +- 5%

The answer to your second question is yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the switch today using a 5mm blue LED from RadioShack (part #276-316). It looks much better than the yellow, IMHO. The 5mm LED is slightly larger than the stock one, but it fits just fine (snug) in the sleeve for it.

The resistor already on the little board is 910 ohm. Power coming from the plug is 12V. The original LED circuit was drawing about 11mA. All I had to do was desolder the original LED and solder in the new one (observing correct polarity, of course).

hey plaz, thanks for the info, I tried looking for the part number you provided but couldnt, I guess they dont have it here in Canada.

If you could check the link below and let me know which one fits my needs best (red not blue) I'd be very thankful.

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/SearchResults.aspx?language=en-CA&keywords=5mm+led&pagenum=0

Archived