LegacyGT.com

2008 More Wood Trim

Long Island Legacy

If the panels are the same other than the finish, you should be able to simply order them from a Subaru dealership's parts department. I looked into replacing the 2 long strips on either side of the shifter panel with the strips that come on the 2.5 GT Limited, and it would have been a simple matter to order them, if I hadn't decided that the cost wasn't outrageous!

One more thing... if you do decide to remove the stock trim, make sure you know what you are doing, and don't just go randomly prying on them trying to get them to pop off. When I was trying to remove one of those strips to install some wiring for my mp3 player's remote control, I ended up snapping a screw tab on one of them that I didn't realize was screwed on, as the screw was well-hidden underneath another panel!

The trim panels around the dash console changed for either 07 or 08. They are now bigger in that they wrap around towards the glove box, and there is one on the glovebox lid itself. Unfortunately, this geometric change coincided with the move to the brushed alloy look, meaning those of us with the older configuration can't swap in the alloy items.

Furthermore, the new glovebox is different in one other way . . . they moved the latch from the centre of the top of the lid to the side of the lid. I think this was a subtle (and unadvertised) response to the complaints about the glovebox lid sagging. I don't know if the new latch and lid are retro-fittable to older models, but I'd love to know if anyone has tried it (or plans to)!

Just FYI, when I looked into replacing the two strips around the transmission hump, I was given a price (by a Subaru dealer) about a year ago of US$132 per side. So to replace all the trim in the car, we'd be talking about a few hundred dollars.

Here are the part numbers I was given for those two wood-finish strips for the 2007 LGT Limited, which I was going to put on my spec.B. The parts guy seemed to think they would fit just fine:

66077AG14A (right side)

66077AG15A (left side)

I think this was a subtle (and unadvertised) response to the complaints about the glovebox lid sagging

FWIW, I've got a '08 OB XT with the fake wood trim across the top edge of the glove box door. The latch is either sagging or it was never aligned properly (I got the car 6 mos old), so the wood trim doesn't align with that on the center console. It looks crappy. :mad:

Ben

Archived