LegacyGT.com

steering popping?

Ramathorn

okay well i was at the movie theater the other night and while leaving i turned the steering wheel full lock to the left and started to turn and i felt a pop and a slight hop in the front end. i have no clue what it was/ is. i took it home and checked out the underneath in the front end and the only thing that looked (visually) out of the ordinary was that one of the splash gaurds was missing a plastic push pin and was only hanging on by 2 instead of 3 and is obviously not the issue.

does anyone know what i am experiencing/ can pin point the problem? again its only at full lock to the left.

05 legacy 2.5i wagon

auto

cv joints just dont go bad. usually the boot tears and the grease comes out/ dirt gets in. when that happens then you get a clicking sound when turning towards the bad side. that isnt what im experiencing, only at full lock i get a hop/ jerk and a pop.

cv joints just don't go bad...

Actually yes they can. When you post a thread on possible causes and someone gives you a reply you don't like flaming the poster does not give others an incentive to reply to your problem. A little basic troubleshooting goes a long way.:spin:

You need to Jack your car up, turn the wheel to the left, then turn the wheel by hand and try to figure your problem out.

I maybe new to the forum but I am not new to cars. I hope you find your problem and its an easy fix.

sounds like normal AWD to me

Occasionally the AWD will bind up and the wheel will hop. So long as it only happens every once in a while and only when doing low speed full lock turns, it's normal.

If it starts happening more frequently, get it checked out.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

yes i ment dont all of a sudden go bad. its the stuff thats inside of the cv boot that gets nasty when a boot tears and then you get the constint clicking. thats not actually the issue i have thats why i dont think its the cv joint because they both look to be in good condition still.

what belts would make the steering hop and pop?

as far as it being a normal awd thing is that just on automatics? because ive honestly never experienced anything like this on any of my other awd cars, then again only 2 of my awd cars were automatics. ive gone through probably a dozen dsm's and gvr4's (all manual) and i think 6 subarus (1 auto the rest manual) and my land rover discovery (full time 4wd with a center diff lock). the only thing i can try to compare it to is one of my 240sx's that i welded the rear diff and in parking lots and at low speeds the outside tire would skip because of the full lock (damn that car was fun).

• 2 months later...

I was looking for a fix for the same problem. I have a 2007 specB and it occasionally feels like my dads blazer in 4wd while turning the wheel to a wheel lock position. I hope mwiener2 is right because having a problem like that outside of warranty that needs to be fixed cant be cheap.

Archived