LegacyGT.com

Smog Test w/o a CAT

Voo

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 06 LGT and I didn't realize that the previous owner had removed the CAT and installed a COBB exhaust system.

Does anyone know if I will have a problem passing the Nevada state Smog Test? The test doesn't measure any exhaust gases but just reads the data from the ECU via the access port. The ECU was recently (less than 10 miles ago) flashed to remove the "No CAT" CEL warning, and when I brought it in it said that the CAT wasn't ready for testing. The CAT warning usually comes on after 800 miles or so.

I figure I need to run the car a lil more to get the tests to complete, but I'm just a lil nervous that I might not be able to pass the test without a CAT. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

OMG a reply so soon! :)

Legacy 05, I was out for a drive and the CEL came on, so I turned into the nearest AutoZone and they pulled out the code reading thingie and they said that there were 2 codes, a "No CAT" one and another that was "Pending CAT". Since I know that the cat isn't there, I had them wipe it (abt 10 miles ago). I drove the car from CA to NV (abt 300 miles) and did abt 50 more miles at home before the light came on. Now I figure it shld last at LEAST that long before the CEL comes on, prob longer.

The previous owner gave me a MkI AP (Rectangular plastic thingie with 4/5 grey buttons on the right) but since I am new to all this, I refused to plug it into the car until I am POSITIVE I know what I am doing. Don't want to accidentally shut off the coolant/engine oil pump ya know? :p

If it is a COBB un-catted DP, you will likely fail the sniffer test quite dramatically.

And as removong the cat is a federal offense, thats not good.

Eitrher find a local "$200 SMOG check," borrow someone local's OEM DP, or buy an OEM DP.

As far as I know clarck county's SMOG check is the same as CA's, which will involve a sniffer test.

NM+, thanks for you reply. In NV there is no sniff test (thank goodness). All the testing data is taken from the data port near the clutch. Is there anyway to visually check to see if there is/isn't a CAT?

Sorry, kinda clueless here :( I usually don't mod my car, but this one I bought came mod. She's a beaut tho.

If ther eis no sniff then you need no codes witha readiness code (I want to say the AP will tell you all this).

You can easily tell a DP isn't catted. That said most SMOG guys are lazy and won't check if the codes are right.

NM+, so basically I just need to drive the car for.... 30-50 miles (to get the readiness codes) and get my smog test done? Awesome! Thanks :)

I wanted to do a visual of my own so I could see if there really was a CAT :p

Archived