LegacyGT.com

Wrongs wrong with this picture?

smokin.legacy

Hey all, new here so i apologize if i dont do something right lol. I have an 06 LGT and its at a stage 2 right now. The car is a 5MT and has 27k miles on it. My question is that it seems like the clutch slips in first gear if i get on it....i can go thru every other gear with no problems but when i give her gas in first i get the STINK. Does this seem like a clutch that cant hold the power any more or maybe something worse? I ask because someone told me it could be synchros.....those expensive? If its is just synchros and not the clutch would warranty cover it? Well thanks to anyone that can help shed some light before i order a nice expensive clutch and that may not be the problem lol

The stink is from slipping it too much when engaging the clutch, doesn't mean the clutch can't hold the power. Usually clutch going bad will be felt in high load condition = 5th gear around 3k rpm

The stink is from slipping it too much when engaging the clutch, doesn't mean the clutch can't hold the power. Usually clutch going bad will be felt in high load condition = 5th gear around 3k rpm

Well i am only saying it cant hold the power because when i get on it in first not only do i get the stink but the car wont go anywhere at alll.....i have to let off the gas and engage the clutch again...so i was hoping with a clutch that can hold higher power i should be able to grip and go.....right?

Sounds like you are dumping the clutch, which is really bad on an AWD car, if you are doing that, please stop. Also the flywheel is a dual mass, and this is normal when you try to dump the clutch.

There is a technique for launching the car the most efficient, and that is letting go of the clutch slowly as you apply gas for the first few seconds, once you are moving then you can start applying power. Also because of out drive-by-wire you should not floor the accelerator, but just push it in half way.

I had a 05 5 MT and I know what you are talking about. By accident I did the same thing a couple of times and it was not pretty. The stink is your clutch wearing out.

X

---

Sounds like you are dumping the clutch, which is really bad on an AWD car, if you are doing that, please stop. Also the flywheel is a dual mass, and this is normal when you try to dump the clutch.

There is a technique for launching the car the most efficient, and that is letting go of the clutch slowly as you apply gas for the first few seconds, once you are moving then you can start applying power. Also because of out drive-by-wire you should not floor the accelerator, but just push it in half way.

I had a 05 5 MT and I know what you are talking about. By accident I did the same thing a couple of times and it was not pretty. The stink is your clutch wearing out.

X

unfortunately i dont think this is the case. I have never dumped the clutch. If i did that the car would just stall unless i had the car revved to 6kRPM lol and im not that dumb. Normally i have it revved to about 3k and i get on the gas once the clutch is completely out.....

real easy way to tell if it is the clutch. 5th gear going about 35mph and then floor it. if it slips your clutch is shot. If it doesnt something esle is wrong.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

unfortunately i dont think this is the case. I have never dumped the clutch. If i did that the car would just stall unless i had the car revved to 6kRPM lol and im not that dumb. Normally i have it revved to about 3k and i get on the gas once the clutch is completely out.....

is this "normal driving"?

if so, normal driving should be 1000-1500 rpm easing out the clutch and pressing the gas when it's fully out

• 2 weeks later...

Does the smell come from normal or aggressive driving. For just normal driving you shouldnt need to rev past 2000rpm to get moving.

3000rpm launches when slipping the clutch even the slightest may emit a smell.

These clutches smell when driven hard, but if your is slipping when your completely off the clutch, then it may be time for a new one.

Take it easy on the clutch for a while and see how it reacts to just normal driving. If it smells and slips under normal circumstances then it probably could need to be changed. If its still under warranty try to get it replaced. But I think there is limited warranty for clutches, something like 12000 miles.

real easy way to tell if it is the clutch. 5th gear going about 35mph and then floor it. if it slips your clutch is shot. If it doesnt something esle is wrong.

didnt slip....car just sat there basically.....but for the first time the other day the clutch slipped during normal driving uh oh

Does the smell come from normal or aggressive driving. For just normal driving you shouldnt need to rev past 2000rpm to get moving.

3000rpm launches when slipping the clutch even the slightest may emit a smell.

These clutches smell when driven hard, but if your is slipping when your completely off the clutch, then it may be time for a new one.

Take it easy on the clutch for a while and see how it reacts to just normal driving. If it smells and slips under normal circumstances then it probably could need to be changed. If its still under warranty try to get it replaced. But I think there is limited warranty for clutches, something like 12000 miles.

i realize a clutch will smell naturally under aggressive driving but im more worried about the slippage during an aggressive take off.....i never dump the clutch at any rate....car has 28k miles

i realize a clutch will smell naturally under aggressive driving but im more worried about the slippage during an aggressive take off.....i never dump the clutch at any rate....car has 28k miles

Have you contacted a dealer about the warranty?

Archived