LegacyGT.com

Clutch squeeling on cold start up?

croll326

Talked to Subaru today....they said that one of the 5 bearings on the shaft is bad? They are going to replace all 5 bearings. Throw out bearing is ok they claim. They want to know if i want to replace the clutch. Basically only paying for the parts. What do you think? What should I replace it with?

Do those bearings have a name?

I'm having a same issue. When I start my car in morning I hear this kinda like grinding noise. When I press the clutch pedal it goes away. Tonight has been really cold here, btw -15 and -20C, even while driving I'm hearing a grinding noise.

I don't beat on my car and this is really strange that clutch is giving out on only 40,000km on clock. :(

EDIT: Also, I noticed in the past, about, year, clutch "catches" less than half way up (when I'm depressing pedal). I remember when I bought the car it was almost on top, then at one point it was all over the place until in last year it's been catching at less than half way up.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy said that it was a dry gearbox fork which needed lubrication.

I have booked my car in next week to have it lubricated.quote]

I do not know what to do now.

The car went for lubrication and the noise is still there. I'm tired of this noise and I think I will keep the scrap until the clutch goes and ask them to replace the whole bearings and throw forks.

My next car will not be a subaru.

Kaycy, did the dealer ever hear the noise? What I did was to take my digital camera in my car every morning and put it in video mode. I would start the camera rolling and then start the car. I would hold the clutch in untill the car stopped its beeping. Then I would let the clutch out and the noise would happen. The camera picked the noise up clear as day. I kept a sort of diary of the noises so I would have an argument if i ever needed it. I think this is a reason why the dealer finally faced the music and did something about my noise. I am a HUGE PAIN IN THE BUTT but when it comes to something like this i am not letting someone like the lazy stupid dealer blow me off. I will get service one way or another. I am not replacing the clutch and flywheel (the labor is covered under the warranty work) do you think i should get new forks too?

Kaycy, did the dealer ever hear the noise?

I took the car back yesterday and asked one guy who works there to drive my car home (1 hour out of the city). I asked him to listen to the noises and then when he comes back the next morning when the car is hot, he is to take it to the service department for them to listen to the noises.

I haven't heard anything from them yet. I will let you guys know tomorrow.

Im telling you......create a video archive of the noise and call SOA and shove it up your dealers.......

I have one already, sorry I didn't tell you on that last post. I will be showing it to them this evening.

I went to collect my car yesterday and I heard that funny things happened.

The guy who I gave my car to used to be a cop, he said that he parked my car across the service garage doors, blocking it and said "I'm not moving this car until someone has a look at it". Immeadiately the mechanics got on their feet to see what was happening as they have never seen anything like that before.

Anyway, they traced the noise to the push rod on the master cylinder (or something like that, i'm mechanically challenged) where it meets the throw fork. The mechanic lubed it with grease and the noise was gone.

I had a chart with the service manager and he told me the same story.

I'm still laughing a day after it happened, hahahaha:lol:

Thanks Brian.

what was the final problem/fix?

I do not understand your question, but I will do my level best to answer it.

If the question is, what was the final problem. The answer is there is no final problem, the car has been fixed.

if the question is, what was the final fix. The answer is a finger full of grease did the trick.

Please see #32 post, third paragraph.

i should be getting mine back tomorrow. new bearings, new TOB, new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate.....should be good. im afraid that they are going to throw it back together and it will not be right be ill have to wait and see

haha funny you ask....no! the stealer had my car for 3 1/2 weeks. the claimed to have replaced the pinion bearing and main shaft bearing under warranty. while the tranny was out i purchased a new oem clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and a SPEC flywheel and had them installed. the labor was all covered under warranty so why not? 47k. i had my car for about 12 hours and on the next cold morning start the noise was there. i was so mad! not to mention i purchased the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and TOB from the king of parts for $625 the dealer wants $903 for all OEM parts. so they were probably trying to get some money out me and told me my rotors needed cut so that was $45 each rotor. now my brakes make a noise. i called the stealer yesterday and am going to show them the fork spring resolution and try to have them do that to my car. i also want to see if there is a different tranny fluid that would "stick" to the metal parts better over a long rest period. i think its a dry start up thats causing the noise. if this all fails im going for the lemon law im tires of this crap. how is your car holdinh up?

next attempt at solving this problem is a meeting with the local subaru rep, the service manager, and me to hear the noise. i am going to leave the car at the dealer all weekend and start it up monday morning (3/10/08) with the hood open and everyone around. we'll see how it goes. i have a feeling they are just going to say its normal to blow me off.

This fork spring resolution, do they have to lower the tranny to do it? Where is this located?

Thanks!

Spring goes in top of the tranny under the intercooler. Takes about 30 minutes to fab and install. This link should help. Posted it in the other thread too:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78095&highlight=spec+clutch+review

Look at post #10 the engine pic is of the spot under the intercooler. Hope it helps.

Have them reach under the IC and apply just a little pressure to the clutch fork and if the niose goes away then the spring will fix it. Mine has been on for almost 6 months and 6K miles and I haven't heard a peep from it. The gear mesh noise is a standard feature of the LWFW from what SPEC says.

Let's kick this pig!

. how is your car holdinh up?

The car is good. I head a small squeak last weekend but it went as soon as it came.

I think you should try greasing the master cylinder push rod and the "throw fork" and see if the noise will go away.

qikslvr......do you hear the gear mesh noise when you accelerate to 3250 rpms in 4th gear and coast until you are at 1750rpms? then when you acelerate from 1750rpms does your whole care vibrate really bad?

also, would the return spring fix my problem? it only happens when its cold out. it almost seems like the bearings in the tranny are dry and once they are lubricated the noise goes away. has any tried lucas synthetic gear oil treatment?

Ya, mine will wine/vibe pretty good when coasting from 3K to right below 2K RPMs in 3rd and 4th. I get it once in a while in 2nd. My car will shake if I floor it below 2K in 4th or 5th. The clutch fork spring is only to cure the squeal at idle with the pedal out, lubing the slave cylinder->clutch fork will quiet it down for a while too. My clutch still makes some noise at the first take off when it below 32*F. To me it's just a cold clutch and isn't an issue as I have had many that have done the same thing over the last 20 years.

The rolling noise has always been there, but was dampened by the Dual Mass FW. The only reason you hear it now is that the LWFW lets it ring through. The gear noise in mine goes away as the temps get warmer. I don't really hear it when the temp is above 50*F. I didn't hear it at all last fall unless I had my Group N hardened tranny mount installed. Again, I only install my hardened mount on weeks when I plan to go to the track.

Let's kick this pig!

my clutch noise lasts for about a minute after the first cold startup. after that its gone until my car sits out over nite for more than 8 hours. then it comes back. do you think this is a real problem and that the return spring will help? i guess i have to remove the TMIC to lube the slave cylinder->clutch fork? thanks for the advice i appreciate it. i am really picky about noises especially when i have a warranty. i love making the dealer do work i dont have to pay for. in my case it is definately not a bad TOB because i just had it replaced less than 1000 miles ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the garage yesterday and they showed me the rusty looking throw fork on the pictures as the the part they lubed with grease. The last photo was taken after the engine cover was taken off. Below the black air cleaner or filter box is where you will find the throw fork as seen on picture 1 and 2.

I think the guys pulled the rubber thing up and applied grease there. I hope it works for you.

100_1865.thumb.jpg.b4fb8031e3160b8dac0c132f8dbb6752.jpg

100_1867.thumb.jpg.32d9ea83436654db1024bee8cba9ddcb.jpg

100_1868.thumb.jpg.8e7cff7f0b03daab9c48731f5b36e59b.jpg

I have a 2.5 turbo 4cyl where would that me on mine? Would it look the same?

It should be on the driver's side in US models. I think it's next to the starter motor. If there is an engine cover, just remove it (only two screws) and below the air cleaner you will find the throw fork going into the transmission. To make more sense of it go to http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77204 and post #3, you cab see the open tranny there.

^I got very confused by your third pic.. then I realized you guys get the H6 with the MT :lol:

I was too lazy to mention that. It was at end of a long rough day for me.

Archived