LegacyGT.com

Valvoline Instant Oil Change?

Hi All,

I've got a road trip to do this weekend and need to have the auto trans fluid, diff fluid changed, as well as the oil.

My question concerns experiences with these Valvoline places: Have you used them before? Would you be comfortable having them do more than an oil change? (trans, diff fluid...)

This is for an '03 Legacy Outback Limited.

Thanks.

Those places only do services that you can do yourself.

If you can't do those services, my advice is:

1. Do NOT let them check your air filter. They always seem to mangle the clips and often do not reseat the air filter properly.

2. Check your oil level before you leave.

3. Check your oil level when you get home.

4. Check your oil level next week.

Hi All,

I've got a road trip to do this weekend and need to have the auto trans fluid, diff fluid changed, as well as the oil.

My question concerns experiences with these Valvoline places: Have you used them before? Would you be comfortable having them do more than an oil change? (trans, diff fluid...)

This is for an '03 Legacy Outback Limited.

Thanks.

I am not comfortable having them do an OIL change let alone anything else.

If you decide to have them do anything take careful note of your levels before and after.

Are they doing a t-tec change or just dropping the pan? Unless they are doing a true fluid exchange you are just wasting your money.

Thanks all for your comments! I used to do maint. & oil changes on my A1 GTI and BMW E30. Then I moved, and driveway space is at a premium. Furthermore, the ground is covered with mounds of ice and snow.

So I'll go to the Valvoline place, but just to change the oil and to ask them to CHECK the auto trans and diff fluid levels.

Any more suggestions, give a shout.

CJ

Make sure you double check the oil level is good and oil cap is secure. I've driven out of a Jiffy Lube before and the next day I could tell my car was running funky. When I got home I lifted the hood and found that my oil filler cap was gone.

Usually in these places you can see them perform the work on your car from the waiting area. Before they pull your car out I would tell them you want to check a few things before they take it out. It would only take a minute or two to just glance and make sure things are in their place.

have them check nothing! just tell them to change the oil and thats it.

+ eleventy

double check the oil cap. Dealer forgot to put that back on my Ranger once.

What a mess.

I did get $200 in free oil changes for that car and the engine bay details though and they never screwed it up again.

• 4 weeks later...
with my 300m i went to valvoline place in RI to get my oil changed I never had any issues. the place I went you stayed in your car while they did it and they had a pit under the car where they did the work from. I liked that cause i could watch most of what they were doing when they did it. I dont know if id have other work done there but i've definatly had oil at that place without previous issue, and i let them top off my washer/de-icer fluid... I just got my spec.B and I dont know if hit has regular or synthetic in it right now so i will most likely do mine myself or take it to a stealership. any easy way to tell if its dyno or synthetic in it now?

I just got my spec.B and I dont know if hit has regular or synthetic in it right now so i will most likely do mine myself or take it to a stealership. any easy way to tell if its dyno or synthetic in it now?

if you bought it new from the dealer it would have conventional 5w30 says my mitchel shopkey program at work (for a 07 gt spc b). i wish i knew a way to tell if it was syn or conventional.

if you find out plz let me know.

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

^^^ will do, bought mine used from a dealer it has a jiffy lube sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield but i dont think it said what kind of oil was in it. Im going to get the oil changed when that mileage comes up and then set myself on a schedule. It only had one owner prior and in all the paperwork i got with the car I found his name from north hampton, MA I guess worst comes to worst I could get his number from his name and location and then call him to ask. Probably would be supprised to hear from some random kid in CT who now owns his old Spec.B

yea that would be a bit creepy, im not sure if the jiffy lube uses the vin for identification or just the plate, if you could get the old plate number im sure they could dig it out in there records somehwere.

03 BH

doubt i could get the old plate number the dealer i bought it from was never connected to the dealer the original owner had gotten the car from. got the carfax report of it being a one owner but i dont know exactly how the dealer i got it from got it, wasnt a trade

^^^^ the deal should know and be able to get all service records from it if the car was dealer serviced from new, they should be able to get it with the vin. was it bought from a subie dealer?

03 BH

how many miles are on your car? it's an 03, so you should be around 60k - if you got AT, i'd take it to the dealer esp for the ATF those valvoline places hire anyone who can fill a bike tire with air, i wouldn't trust them. i'd cough up the extra $ and go to a dealer if you can't DIY or w/ a friend.

and going to a subaru dealer, you'll be getting ATF fluids built for your car, and a better piece of mind on your trip...

have fun! take pictures!

brian

Archived