LegacyGT.com

fluid capacity

SSpeed

Since I don't have a manual, I'd done all the searches and thought I got what I needed for a drivetrain fluid change, 3.8 qts for the tranny and .8 qts for the rear diff....

Go to the Subaru dealer parts dept today to get the crush washers and he comes out with 3 silver rings and a copper one. I look confused and ask what that is for... He says, front diff, transmission, rear diff, and the copper is for the transfer case.

I mentioned that I thought the front diff was integrated in to the transmission, he says "oh yeah" and takes one silver ring away.

I then mention I didn't think the LGT had a separate transfer case like my old DSM did (I must admit I haven't been under the car much so far, but I did a lot of searching) and he corrected me and said they do and that's the most important one to change... So I took the copper ring anyway....

Was I inadequate in my searching or was this guy smoking something?

If you have a manual tranny the guy was smoking something.

Only the two drain and fills.

(MT) Tranny, center and front diff all share the same sump.

I don't know how you could get a crush washer on the rear diff? There is nowhere for the crush washer to crush against if I remember right...I thought it was just a threaded plug that sat "almost" flush with the pumpkin.

Good thing you are doing it yourself.

If you have a manual tranny the guy was smoking something.

Only the two drain and fills.

(MT) Tranny, center and front diff all share the same sump.

I don't know how you could get a crush washer on the rear diff? There is nowhere for the crush washer to crush against if I remember right...I thought it was just a threaded plug that sat "almost" flush with the pumpkin.

Good thing you are doing it yourself.

That confirms what I thought, thanks very much...

Archived