LegacyGT.com

Random steering jerk. is something broken?

grizzlepuss

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem while driving- while driving straight, I will experience a strong steering jerk to the right that lasts a second. It happens pretty frequently and it seems to be on the dangerous side of things.

What do you think? axle?bushings?something else?

I appreciate you input. Happy Holidays

Could it be tramlining from your front tires? Are they wider than stock or an aggressive performance tread design?

Otherwise, I've never had a wheel bearing failure myself, but I would have to imagine if it started to go and began to bind, it might jerk the car like that. However, I would also imagine quite a bit of friction/heat would come from a situation like that which should translate into something you could smell.

ignore him, he'll go away.

flux capacitor is borked. You need to rotate your tires and turn them the opposite rotating direction. This will cause you to time travel backwards and fix the flux capacitor. It could also be your hand jerking, and be nothing wrong with the car at all...

I really have no idea what your problem is. It's probably just the tires tramlining on expansion joints, small potholes and such. My car does that.

i had a similar experience lately. i got an alignment and afterwards the car started to turn on it's own. it was ok going straight, but a slight turn of the wheel on the highway would cause the car to change lanes abruptly. turns out the two bolts that hold the shock to the steering knuckle were both lose on the right side. unless you've done work on it lately it's pretty unlikely something would have come lose on it's own. but you may have a worn out bushing or maybe the steering rack is going. i found my problem by yanking on the tire. even with the weight of the car on it the tire had lots of play when i pulled on it.

Archived