LegacyGT.com

2000mile piggy back

- Keep all four wheels off the ground when trailering it.

- Ensure that the car is tied down securely. Always double and tripple check tie downs.

- Put the handbrake up and the car in gear. If the car happens to break away you don't want it to freely roll around.

- Ensure that the trailer is securely attached to the hitch. Double and tripple check.

- Ensure that the trailer is also chained to the hitch. Double and tripple check.

- Ensure that the trailers brake lights and running lights are operational.

Depending on how long the drive is, you may want to consider leaving your running lights on the car if you are traveling at night.

- Keep all four wheels off the ground when trailering it.

- Ensure that the car is tied down securely. Always double and tripple check tie downs.

- Put the handbrake up and the car in gear. If the car happens to break away you don't want it to freely roll around.

- Ensure that the trailer is securely attached to the hitch. Double and tripple check.

- Ensure that the trailer is also chained to the hitch. Double and tripple check.

- Ensure that the trailers brake lights and running lights are operational.

Depending on how long the drive is, you may want to consider leaving your running lights on the car if you are traveling at night.

Recently moved from Virginia to Utah...everything above, follow!!! Everytime I would stop for gas in the u-haul I would check the fittings around the wheels of the car. make sure you call your insurance company (I am assuming USAA since you are in FWB and going to Montana) they will tell you what you are covered for and what coverage you need for the truck as well.

Especially if you are driving at night, turn on the parking lights.....that is about the only usefull thing I can think of for those lights!!!!!

Especially if you are driving at night, turn on the parking lights.....that is about the only usefull thing I can think of for those lights!!!!!

Thanx all, but wont this run down the battery? I have hired a a proper trailer so i wont need to worry about that. I should be ok with the trailering as i am a boat salesman i am used to all that. Is there any kind of protection i should put on or do to my car?

thanx again jack

Thanx all, but wont this run down the battery? I have hired a a proper trailer so i wont need to worry about that. I should be ok with the trailering as i am a boat salesman i am used to all that. Is there any kind of protection i should put on or do to my car?

thanx again jack

I had mine on from about 6pm until I would stop for the night, usually around 11 or so. I had no problems with it. I thought that the lights would reflect in the mirros, but since the car is more narrow than the truck it wa not a problem. Plus I liked being able to see a little glow back there from her.....As far as protecting it, it sits high enough and close enough that you should not run into problems with rocks or other types of debris. Since you are going to be doing this during the winter, (like I did) make sure you keep as much snow/ice off the trailer as possible. Every time I would stop I would kick and chip away any accumulated ice that was on the trailer.

Have a safe trip!

thanx again jack

Have you ever driven a truck/trailer in winter conditions? Good luck.

Is the trailer open or enclosed?

Your truck will kick up small stones, gravel (spread on paved roads for winter traction), chunks of ice, etc. These will hit your car.

On two lane highways, passing trucks will kick up debris and sling it across the yellow line onto your vehicle. Hug the shoulder when possible, but be very careful of snow and ice.

A couple of Novembers ago, I entered Wyoming from the west on I80. WDOT did a great job of snow/ice removal on the interstate and my Subaru was on OEM tires. WDOT trucks were on the highway every 1/2 mile clearing the way. I was very lucky to have noticed that they DID NOT clear any off-ramps. When I came across a ranch-road off-ramp, I decided to test the all-season tire traction. If I hadn't done this, I probably would have sailed off my ramp twenty miles down the highway.

Archived