LegacyGT.com

JD Powers Survey

Just got a JD Powers Survey in the mail today. Promptly filled it out, and it's going back. The only complaint I have, and it's minor but it would be nice if it was fixed, was the stinky clutch. I debated whether or not to even put it on there, but if enough people did, perhaps it would get fixed. Did anyone else get one? What did you put?

1. Mis-aligned sedan trunk (most sedans I have seen have this problem) 2. Mis-aligned hood 3. Fuel door sticks out (still does...there is no fix) 4. Rattle under dash (repaired by Subaru....fuel lines rattling behind firewall) 5. Carpet hook, drivers side came off...bad fastening (again, most have this problem) 6. Average paint at best 7. Loose drivers side fog light surround....(FELL OFF!! Cant believe how cheap) 8. Drivers side headlight shines too high..adjusted by Subaru 9. Some paint/oily spray they sprayed under the car (from the factory) that they "accidently" got on the wheels....try getting THAT stuff off!! its TOUGH! (most have this problem, not just mine)

[quote name='frontrangeSubie']1. Mis-aligned sedan trunk 2. Mis-aligned hood 3. Fuel door sticks out (still does...there is no fix) 4. Rattle under dash (repaired by Subaru....fuel lines rattling behind firewall) 5. Carpet hook, drivers side came off...bad fastening 6. Average paint at best 7. Loose drivers side fog light surround....(FELL OFF!!) 8. Drivers side headlight shines too high..adjusted by Subaru 9. Some paint/oily spray they sprayed under the car (from the factory) that they "accidently" got on the wheels....try getting THAT stuff off!! its TOUGH![/QUOTE] Damn! You filled in every bubble? And what did you say for whether you'd buy this car again? Btw, sorry about your luck...

[quote name='frontrangeSubie']1. Mis-aligned sedan trunk 2. Mis-aligned hood 3. Fuel door sticks out (still does...there is no fix) 4. Rattle under dash (repaired by Subaru....fuel lines rattling behind firewall) 5. Carpet hook, drivers side came off...bad fastening 6. Average paint at best 7. Loose drivers side fog light surround....(FELL OFF!!) 8. Drivers side headlight shines too high..adjusted by Subaru 9. Some paint/oily spray they sprayed under the car (from the factory) that they "accidently" got on the wheels....try getting THAT stuff off!! its TOUGH![/QUOTE] Wow, you sure got a lemon! Was it one of the early cars? My OBXT was pretty much perfect, but I did notice several assembly defects on other cars on my dealer's lot. A local reviewer here was also unimpressed with the interior trim not being properly installed. So I guess the quality coming out of Indiana is uneven, and not up to Japanese standards. Sly

Wow, you sure got a lemon! Was it one of the early cars? My OBXT was pretty much perfect, but I did notice several assembly defects on other cars on my dealer's lot. A local reviewer here was also unimpressed with the interior trim not being properly installed.

So I guess the quality coming out of Indiana is uneven, and not up to Japanese standards.

Sly

Nah...not a lemon.....these are small things...its an average car with an above average engine. If you look close, most every Legacy has the problems I described (search earlier posts).

• 1 year later...
1. Mis-aligned sedan trunk (most sedans I have seen have this problem)

2. Mis-aligned hood

3. Fuel door sticks out (still does...there is no fix)

the fuel door can be fixed in about 10 mins. I had mine done within the first weeks of ownership as opening the filler was a two person job. the rubber bumps were too tall on mine and preloaded the catch so much that you couldn't release the door without pushing on it. the dealer installed shorter rubber stops.

Anyone who still has this survey, any chance you could scan it and send me a copy? I'm conducting my own reliability research and am interested in seeing what they ask.

One big difference between my research and JD Powers is that you'll never see most of their results. They sell those for the big bucks to the manufacturers. I actually pitched my research approach to them as more helpful to consumers, but they weren't interested because they didn't see it as useful for manufacturers. So I decided to just conduct the research myself.

Another big difference is that I'm focusing on practical measures, times in the shop and days in the shop. Aside from averages I'll also report the odds of having no problems and the odds of having 5+ trips in a year. I think most people are most worried about the last, not the average.

From what I've heard the JD Power survey is much longer than mine. I work hard to require as little time and effort from members as possible.

The 2005 Legacy/Outback is one of the few models I'm already collecting data on, as I have 33 in the panel (many of them possibly from this forum). A larger sample is always better--long term I want at least 200 per model year.

So if you'd like free access to the results, and to help make the results possible, please visit Car reliability survey enrollment"]Car Reliability Survey enrollment for more info and to sign up.

Sheesh, I just also noticed the age of the thread. I saw others say "old post," but for some reason thought they were referring to the thread in the link a few posts up.

I guess this is the dark side of telling people to search--they might dig up something old without intending to. No matter, the JDPA survey is annual (or even multiple times a year), should be out there again right now.

Archived