LegacyGT.com

Atlanta, how are you staying clean?

Jerboa113

So you all know I'm sure.. we're about out of water, or at least to hear the news tell it we are.. but anyway there's a total outdoor watering ban, and since I dont beleive in automated car washes or the harsh brushes and soaps at the do-it-yourself pay by the minute washes.. I havent had a good car wash in some time now.. and I feel bad about having a filthy car...

so I'm wondering.. what are the other atlanta reasidence here on the forum under the same restrictions doing to stay clean?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

...since I dont beleive in automated car washes or the harsh brushes and soaps at the do-it-yourself pay by the minute washes.. I havent had a good car wash in some time now.. and I feel bad about having a filthy car...

Hey, I know what you mean! I used to be very diligent about keeping my car (whether VW, Buick, Camaro, and now my Subaru) clean, and would always wash and wax it myself. In the past 15+ years that I've been driving, I don't think I've ever had anyone else wash my car for me, and have only gone through an automatic car wash a couple of times. I would use a do-it-yourself car wash once in a while, until a few years ago, when I put a bunch of very fine scratches all over my beautiful (well, maybe not) Buick Century with the brush. Even when we first started having watering restrictions, it wasn't unusual for me to be outside after 10:00pm washing my car.

What I've been doing lately (and in fact, just did it earlier this evening) is going to an automatic, touchless car wash near my house. Does a pretty good job, but being as it is touchless, it doesn't get every little speck off. Usually, the 2 mile or so drive home is enough to mostly dry it off, and as soon as I get home, I'll go over the car real quick with a good chamois, and then give it quick shot of Zaino's quick detailing/gloss enhancer spray. I'm very careful to use nice, clean polishing cloths, and the end result is a clean and shiny car, with no apparent ill effects to the paint.

I've been tempted to use a "professional" car wash, such as Carnett's, but haven't tried them yet.

So you all know I'm sure.. we're about out of water, or at least to hear the news tell it we are.. but anyway there's a total outdoor watering ban, and since I dont beleive in automated car washes or the harsh brushes and soaps at the do-it-yourself pay by the minute washes.. I havent had a good car wash in some time now.. and I feel bad about having a filthy car...

so I'm wondering.. what are the other atlanta reasidence here on the forum under the same restrictions doing to stay clean?

Not in atlanta but this is what apartment dwellers do:

Go to do-it yourself wash

Bring all your car wash stuff

Hand wash at the DIY place

Works well, but depending on location can cost more than an autowash 9for those that care, it doesn't matter)

Oh, but you'll want to go a weird hours as it takes longer.

I also recommend bringing your own water to fill the buckets as it can take a while on teh DIY hoses.

Not in atlanta but this is what apartment dwellers do:

Go to do-it yourself wash

Bring all your car wash stuff

Hand wash at the DIY place

Works well, but depending on location can cost more than an autowash 9for those that care, it doesn't matter)

Oh, but you'll want to go a weird hours as it takes longer.

I also recommend bringing your own water to fill the buckets as it can take a while on teh DIY hoses.

A friend of mine is doing that with his ms3, he says it costs about $10 and since its pressurized water when trying to fill up the bucket it either takes forever or sends soap and water EVERYWHERE, I cant imagine it being a pretty sight, but its something I thought about..

I was outside before the total outdoor watering ban quite often washing mine as well, I noticed people that would drive by would kind of stare, I guess they thought I was being rude and wasting water.

I'm trying to think of a time to go to another area that doesn't have water restrictions and have it detailed heh

before long I wont need to buy any gunmetal rims, cos I'll already have the color, the front rims are almost there now.. its embarassing.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Hence why you bring your own water.

Go buy a few gallons of water at the grocery store. Each time, just refill them with your tap. Makes it much easier, probably save a dollar or two as well.

The only issue is that those hoses don't have the volume of a house hose.

Archived