LegacyGT.com

Wheel stud replacement

Does anybody know how hard it is to replace the wheel studs on a 05 LGT? While taking my wheels off last night I came to find out that the company that put my wheels on my car had crossthreaded a lut nut on there, and when trying to back it off had snapped off the whole stud.. What does it take to replace one, or what would a dealership charge to replace one?

Thanks.

On my Nissan, you removed the brake rotor, thread on an old lug nut and bang on it with a BFH to back the stud out. That car has no issues with premature wheel bearing failures so I would be weary to use the same approach on a Subaru.

If the stud is snapped off near the base of the hub, you'll need to get it pressed out. Not sure what type of tool is used for that job, perhaps a tire or brake place would be able to do it relatively cheap vs a dealer.

ignore him, he'll go away.

IIRC just taking the rotor off and lightly tapping on the stud should break it free. Then to put the new one on, just do what was stated above. Thread a lug on there to seat it before you put the tire on.

I use a socket or a stack of washers and another lug to pull the splines on the new lug into the hub until it sits flush. After that, I reinstall the rotor, caliper and wheel. I torque the nuts down normally and then retorque after the forst drive in case the stud moved at all.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived