LegacyGT.com

Towing a single snowmobiles with an 05 GT...

I'm thinking about throwing a hitch on for the winter to pull my snowmobile around. I hate relying on other people to get my sled around. Anyway, the trailer would be probably about 300 pounds or less and my sled weighs probably about 500 as it sits. So I would be pulling 800-900lbs MAX. How hard would this be on the GT? Obviously the clutch and brakes are going to be worked a little harder. But is it going to be THAT bad to where I shouldn't do it? I would be pulling on the expressway for a bout 3 hours each way Probably no more than twice a month. And thats if I'm lucky. Thats and a little bit here and there around home. SO what do you guys think?

One more thing, would a hitch receiver for a wagon work on a sedan?

you should be fine im pretty sure. i had the same question a while back but not for my subaru. i bought a brand new waverunner and it weighs about 1000lbs trailer and all. my girl has a 93 acura legend 3.2 v6 and it pulled it just fine all summer. the guys i spoke with at the dealership told me that people get hitches and put it on cars you wouldnt think would even work. back then i had my 02 vw jetta 2.2 cylinder and they said it would pull it fine but i couldnt get a hitch on it bc they were too expensive.

so my point is with you having AWD and at least a 2.5 engine you should be fine. i got a hitch on my legacy L and you bet ur ass come warmtime im hookin the waverunner up and goin.

When I was a kid my dad had a peugeot 404 and we used to go to the south of france (1000miles) towing a 2000lb caravan(RV) every year and that car was fine so your gt should be able pull your sled lol. I would have a look for your GVWR first though it shoud be on the inside of your door pillar or in your manual.

http://www.grapa.net/peugeot404/images/Peugeot_404_wagon_j4.jpg

No offence but :rtfm:

The LGT is rated as having a 2000Lbs towing capacity.

OffenSe. /grammar police

I know what the tow capacity is. I more or less wanted to see others experiences and find out if its worth it to put the extra wear and tear on my baby.

No offence but :rtfm:

The LGT is rated as having a 2000Lbs towing capacity.

I coyuld have swore it was 2700, but thats for a non-limited wagon.

Do note that tow ratings assumes an empty car except for the driver. If you have 5 adults in your car, for example, you probably shouldn't be towing anything.

I highly recommend you weight whgat you are towing before you tow it in any strenious environment if you are remotely unsure of the weight of the trailer. You can use any truck scale. This is mainly a big deal because if you get into an accident, you can get in very serious trouble if you're towing to heavy.

Also, its a good idea to tow about 15% under trhe tow rating. if you're doing that, your car should be fine.

I coyuld have swore it was 2700, but thats for a non-limited wagon.

Do note that tow ratings assumes an empty car except for the driver. If you have 5 adults in your car, for example, you probably shouldn't be towing anything.

2700 divided by 5 = 540

Wow ... you need to hit the gym :lol::lol:

If you are going to be towing in mountain passes or high hills, you risk damaging the trurbo by constantly loading it. I would ask a Subaru service manager if there is any definitive word about this; I know that Audi says no.

If you are going to be towing in mountain passes or high hills, you risk damaging the trurbo by constantly loading it. I would ask a Subaru service manager if there is any definitive word about this; I know that Audi says no.

????

There is no "load" on a turbo. At least, non that is relative to whether you are towing or not.

You will obviously suffer in the Fuel Economy but it should not adversly effect your engine. The Clutch is always gonna be the weak link in towing with a manual, especially with a turbo engine because these engines have relatively little torque off boost.

You just need to take it easy when your getting going off the line.

Its not the negine you ahve to worry about really. A 70hp car can tow, just very slowely.

Its chassis, brakes, and transmission/driveline.

And its certainly not turbos, every modern diesel truck has a turbo.

I wouldn't be towing in any mountain passes, and probably no high hills. I'm still debating whether or not I really want to do this.

Just go for it ... you need it and there is no good reason not to.

I towed a bunch of stuff on my 1998 Subaru Legacy. It had half the hp my 07 Spec B has. I exceeded the towing limits set by the manufacturer when I was in a real jam by probably 3000 lbs. Probably towed somewhere between 4000 to 5000lbs from Indiana to Virginia. It was stupid. I know. It didn't handle well at all with 5000lbs in a u-haul trailer, and it braked a whole lot slower. But, it still made it up and down the "mountains" just fine.

In another pinch, I towed a 17" boat with an outboard motor. No problem there either. The car was slow, but it was easy.

I ended up putting 100K miles on that car. I replaced the clutch at 95K. The stock springs, shocks, etc. were still just fine. It was still a more reliable car than my wife's 2002 325Ci ~ which we just upgraded to a 2008 LLB Outback

We get hung up in this country that somehow cars can't tow anything and only SUVs or pickup trucks can tow. Yet, go to Europe and you'll see cars towing all the time. True, you wont' see a Yugo towing a 25 foot boat, but what you're describing is well within your (our) vehicles towing capacity.

You'll notice it is there, but your car easily has the power to do it. 1000 lbs (with the caveats described above of not overloading the vehicle) should not be a problem at all. If it was my car, I wouldn't be worried at all.

I haven't gotten the trailer yet, but it is my intent to tow my 02 FLTSC-I (approx 800lbs) behind either the 07 Spec.B or the Outback. I'm sure it'll be just fine. Go forth, tow your snowmobile. Have fun.

The thing I'd be careful of is this - your car has a fabulous AWD system. This gives all of us who drive an AWD system a certain sense of confidence. So, when driving your car to someplace you'd obstensibly use a snowmobile, one would assume there to be some snow. so, when you are towing something, just be extra careful because your trailer (duh) doesn't have VDC or ABS or AWD - it's just a dumb trailer behind your car.

If the manual says you can tow that weight, then that's about as good an indicator as you can have that your car will be able to tow that weight without any issues.

Since the factory manual specifies towing is ok and the car doesn't seem to have issues when I do tow, I don't even think twice about it any more. My 05 MT LGT just towed 1700# 2500miles from OH to CO. No issues except for the lousy gas mileage.
Kyle "BlackHole"

Archived