LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light?! WOOO

Zanatech

went to my dealership with a check engine light on. my car had like 34,### miles on it. i think they just cleared the light, because they showed me "what" caused it, and i don't believe them. i filled up, drove ~380 miles on the tank (still had like 1/8th left when it came on) mostly in town, (so i must have gotten in and out of the car maybe 70 times in this week period). they told me my fuel cap was loose (had a civic before hand and they are extremely picky so i have a habbit of making it "click). they showed me how loose it was and the cap fell out of the "compartment" when they opened the fuel door, like i hadn't even attempted to secure it :orly:.

anyone else have a similar experience? or does it really take that long for the systems in the car to detect that your fuel cap is completely off.

It says right on there, a loose cap can cause the check engine light to come on.

Did the dealer write down the OBDII code? If it makes you feel better then make sure you keep written proof from the dealer of the code and the time/date/mileage that it happened so that you have a papertrail to fall back on if the problem *continues* (not *appears*) after your warranty period expires.

yes, i know a loose cap would cause it to come on, i think i clearly explained that. i highly doubt the emission control systems would not cycle after 10-20-30-40-50 starts or over the course of 380 miles in town.

i guess i was asking is this normal for subarus or is it just a one of a kind deal.

Archived