LegacyGT.com

BOV question

I noticed when trying to install my aftermarket greddy BOV that the stock BOV has a re-cerculator attached to it. My question is can i leave that off the intercooler not attached to the bov and just connect the vacume line to the bov and mount the greddy bov in the same place the stock one was?

my bov did not come with a re-circulator hose. it just came with two 3 way T connectors, a vacume line, bov with trumpet.

the stock one has a vacume line attached to it plus another line that looks like it attaches to the would be trumpet area. Anyone know if i need to leave it plugged in or will it cause engine damage. It appears the stock BOV always re-circulates 100% of the time.

13.6 @ 102 untuned FTW

SmartWax - Spec Clutch - Team Scp 1

http://newenglandsubarus.com/

the recirculation valve keeps the air flowing through the system, and keeps the car from trying to stall out, when it runs "rich"...the reason why it runs rich is because the air flow sensor is before the blow off valve, so the care thinks it is getting "this" much amount of air, when the air goes through the recirc tube it stays in the loop and still gets to the enging, but if you plug the recirc tube and vent-to-atmosphere now the engine isn't getting the air it thought it was when the valve "blows" off.

Let me ask a question now that I think of it. Would buying a combination valve, where you can vent/recirc a certain percentage, allow you to force the car to run leaner/richer?

honsetly i can not answer that question. . i was told by my friends who own a couple turbo cars to switch out the stock bov. So i am.

13.6 @ 102 untuned FTW

SmartWax - Spec Clutch - Team Scp 1

http://newenglandsubarus.com/

• 2 weeks later...
honsetly i can not answer that question. . i was told by my friends who own a couple turbo cars to switch out the stock bov. So i am.

You may want to do a little research before you put that on. BOVs don't get you any power, they just get you more noise.

If it's power you want, then sell that BOV and get an accessport.

on the topic of BOV's, im looking to get one who makes a good 50/50 BOV for the LGT?

GFB hybrid. you can run it 100% recirc 100%vta or 50/50. ive been running mine 50/50 no problems

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

now that makes sense...isn't our bov plastic or something?

yes it is. when i changed mine to the gfb i broke my t fiiting for my boost gauge. thanks god i had an extra in my trunk storage

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

im looking at buying an 05 legacy from a board member if all looks good and a price can be agreed on and it is already stage II so I guess I would fall into this cat. yeah 50/50 seems the way to go I just what a nice little pshhht that I can also stop if it bothers me

• 2 years later...
okay i wanted to try something today , i disconnected my recirc tube , and plugged it off with a 1" copper tube "Cap" , so using the stock recirc valve i have a BoV , but the problem , give it gas ( rev it ) and upon returning to idle it would die , i can put it in S or S# and it will keep itself going because of the Ecus attitude change , but my question is . if i get an accessport and somehow find the right MAP will it run correctly or is there anything else i can do , is it a bad idea to do this , ive had it die once so far , when i came to a stop sign

A full vent to atmosphere BOV will cause a rich condition that can make the car run funny in some situations. Ricirc valves like the stock BPV send the vented air back into the intake post-maf. This way the ecu is able to maintain it's desired AFR because it is not losing air that has already been metered by the maf sensor.

On our cars a full VTA BOV will not cause you to stall out, although you will run a little rich when you lift off the gas at full boost. If you have a cattless TBE you might even shoot some flames. ;)

I have an HKS BOV and have had it set to recirculate and vent to atmosphere. The car runs FINE either way. The only significant difference is noise.

/thread

Archived