LegacyGT.com

CV Joint bad

fullerslgt

My cv joint boot went out the other day, splattered grease all over the exhaust (smokey and stinky anyways). So i was hoping the cv joint wasnt bad and i could just get the boot replaced. i took it to the subaru dealership and they said all the grease was gone and they would have to replace everything $483.00. so just curious....doesnt that sound expensive. anyone ever have to deal with something like this with the cv joint??

Yes that sounds expensive ... find a tuner shop that works on suby's and get a quote. The dealer is going to rape you on labor charges ... if it says that the job will take 2 hours, and they take 1 hour, I think they still charge you the two hours of labor.

you got any links to any sites with the parts for sale? semi cheap?? oh and here are a couple quick pics for ya.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/irdelis_2006/DSC00014.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/irdelis_2006/DSC00008.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/irdelis_2006/DSC00009.jpg

your going to have to be more specific though when you say Parts. Just the boot with clamp? Or a whole new half shaft assy?

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

your going to have to inspect the half shaft in oreder to be able to say yes or no. If it doesnt look that bad you can get away with installing a new CV boot along with a clamp. He said 155 my receipt from the dealer says 205.

The half shaft ran 370. Total cost from dealer was 670.

OTM.

what the CV joint? well it can be a number of things. Shit flying up and hitting the boot making it split. ( little rabbits, twigs etc...) a faulty clamp. And the real shitty part is the warranty. They say if the boots fails and ruins the shaft they will not repair it under warranty. But who is to say that the boot failed due to a shitty clamp or debree? Its a trick bag. But you end up paying in the end. the OP gets lucky. Now alls he has to do is buy the CV joint kit put a new boot and new clamp and pack it full of grease and he is good. I didnt know about mine until it sounded like a pop can full of rocks when i turned.

OTM.

• 2 weeks later...
I once had a front outer boot fail on my Audi. Didn't know about it until I got under it to change oil. Unfortunately it was during the winter and the joint had swallowed some sand and salt by the time I found it and had started rusting. I didn't have a good source for a new joint at the time so I just got a new boot, cleaned the joint, and put it back together till I could find a new one. That's been 50-60k miles ago and it still hasn't started making any noise yet. The OP should be fine with a new boot and fresh grease.

well, thank god my car is still under the 5year, 60k miles powertrain warranty. cuz it was covered under that. so i got it done the other day for free. their bill said $487.00, but customer total $0.00:spin:. they replaced the whole half shaft.

UPdate...had my inner te rod replaced...ends up its not it.

The guys at the shop who are not Subaru Techs but they are the guys tha do work on my car most of the time. they kept trying to figure out what he problem is. The ended up figuring that it is probably the steering "rack" i think thats what its called.

So a updte my symptoms are as followed:

-Left bending roads:When he road bends left and only left and im somewhere in either 1st or 2nd or 3rd(usually doesnt happen in 4th or 5th gear) 5EAT there is a pulsating feeling coming from the passenger side front wheel. The pulsation is felt in the car, but not in the steering wheel so much.

-Going over uneven roads you hear a clunk/pop in the front passeneger side. I hear this sound almost as though its coming from behind the glove box/behind and under the glove box.

Archived