LegacyGT.com

Off center Cobb STS hitting shifter surround

ATB

I have had my COBB STS for over a year and in general love it. That said, since day 1 it has been off center, displaced towards the bottom of the opening when in neutral. When I shift into 2nd or 4th quickly I always hit the shifter surround. I think it is adjusted for max throw and min length..I didn't install it myself.

I suppose adjusting for a bit less throw (the bottom adjustment correct?) might do it, but I really don't want to increase shifter effort any more. Is there any way to adjust how the shifter is centered? Has anyone else encountered this with a cobb or other STS?

The lower portion of the shifter will need to be lengthened if the shifter is hitting the surround in 2nd and 4th. My guess w/o seeing it in person is that lower adjustment is currently as short as it will go which is a bad position, IMO.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Yahtzee. Didn't even think of that.

I just took a look at Cobb's install instructions and I don't think it could be put in backwards, although it should be easy enough to pull off the shifter plate and make sure the "Cobb" lettering is facing forwards.

I am 99% certain the bottom adjustment is all they up / not extended. Is not a recommended way to have it set? I recall reading that if it is adjusted too far in the other direction, it can hit a metal plate at the front of the shifter.

You need to trim the plate with a tin snips or dremel anyway (10 min modification by the time you get it out of the car and put back in). The shifter linkage will hit it (or come damn close) when in 1st gear if installed properly.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived