LegacyGT.com

Tein Basics Question?

minimalistic

I got my tein basics installed tonight, but I have a problem. You have to reuse the OEM top hats. The fronts went on fine, but when I put the stock tophat oh the new strut/spring assembly and try and ratchet down the top nut the shock assembly just spins. It gets about 2-3 threads down then starts spinning. Now on the stock setup you use a pass-through ratchet and an allen key to keep the strut from spinning but there is no allen key socket on the tein's. How can I tighten this up? The manual says not to use an impact wrench or to try and clamp down on the shock. I figured this was normal and installed them anyway, thinking the weight of the car would clamp everything together tight but when I bounce the rear you can hear the spacer bang and clang. Any ideas on how I can get this nut to tighten up without breaking the shocks?

Ok they've been on for 3 days now. The weather has just started getting cold and the left rear coilover is making a little noise. It sounds like metal to metal noise. It seems to be over small bumps that I don't even feel in the car but the shock is absorbing. It doesn't get louder over large bumps or when the shock compresses hard. Its only on the small stuff. Its so minor you can't even hear it once the radio is over 2, but I know its there. Its the only one of the 4 that is making noise. I've taken it out and re-tightened everything and I still get the same thing. Any ideas?

Since the basics have no preload adjustment, they really work best at the recommended drop level of 1.5". I'd check your drop at each corner and make sure nothing has shifted. My Driver Rear lockrings had slipped after the install and had to crank it back up. I locktited it, and it has been stable now. The other three have been fine. I still go around and measure every couple of weeks, though.

I just loved the instructions tein included, didn't you?

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Hahah, yeah the instructions were great. The whole manual was just one big warning about what NOT to do instead of what to do. Luckily someone did a nice write up for swapping on H-Techs and it was pretty similar. I used the recommended drop and checked them all the way around, everything looks good. I figure it just has to do with the cold weather and the contraction of metals but its the only one that does it. Once I have driven the car about 10 miles or so it stops ... go figure. Thanks for the reply 05LGTLtd.

• 6 months later...
i have yet to be impressed with one of the tein products. Currently running tein SS on my old pos integra and that car was handling a lot better stock. it shows very much fender liner in turns and god forbid you slam on the brakes because 3 wheels out of 4 will be airborn and the car will start sliding incontrollably at random.

Archived