151 members have voted

1. 1. This thread useful to anyone???

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! You da man!!!!! I knew I could count on this thread to deliver yet again! :D

Dude, stop searching, and go lay up. :)

Seriously, thank you for the effort - I think that Dell might be a clincher for me. I need to do a bit of research on both it and the HP, but both of those look to be right on the mark.

Yet again (now for likely the 4th time), thank you. :)

Whoever voted "no" for this thread should be summarily shot. :lol:

---

BTW, seeing TPLGT's reply - our aims are identical.

I'm not looking to put a carputer in the car. I just don't think I'll have enough uses for it to warrant such an expense as well as, moreover, the time necessary to devote to such a project. I'd love to have one, but for the foreseeable future, it's just not practical for me.

What I'd like is a small, lightweight, but decent-performing laptop, with wireless capability, for the very simple tasks of datalogging, DTCs, and updating my various onboard speed-detection countermeasures. These low-cost "Netbooks" are perfect, which was why I was so intent, originally, on the Acer, particularly given its Win XP operating system, which I need for ECUTeK (I know that brother Todd is going to have a stroke as soon as he reads that one :lol:;) ). Battery life is not important for me, as I have an inverter in the car - but more importantly, I just don't see the need for me to do more than an hour's worth of datalogging for even the hardest-core "daily driving" analysis.

Thanks again, a.a. :)

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

$129.99

Seagate Desk ST315005FDA2E1-RK External Hard Drive - 1.5TB, USB 2.0, Silver

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/s130-8122-Main-JH.jpg

REVIEW BY: Eight Moti Reviewed Feb 15, 2009

Same problem as the previous reviewer. The drive worked at first then started making a strange clicking sound and wouldn't allow me to access the drive. I ran the test utility that came with the drive and it said to RMA the drive. This seems to be a known problem experienced by many with this model, it's a complete waste that Seagate makes you pay for shipping back to them especially when I have only had this drive for such a short period of time.

REVIEW BY: davolos Reviewed Jan 05, 2009

I have to say this is a very nice price for a very nice hard drive (if it works well). I purchased mine a month ago. No problems at first, I copy huge files (more than 500 gb) and erased them and repeat the process to check out the drive. It worked well until 2 days ago when I decided to consolidate all my info from 2 computers and 2 external HD. After I finished I was just browsing a folder with pictures and then I heard a strange clicking sound on the HD, then it wouldn't allow me to see any picture! Says they are currupted. Well I decided to restart my computer and then it wouldn't mount the drive. And the clicking sound persisted (in every computer I tried connecting) I never had a problem like this before. Now I have to return this drive and I ran Data Rescue II for PC and it couldn't retrieve any info (not need to be a genius there is a Hardware problem. Maybe it was just me, but I wouldn't recomend it, not anymore!. Buy from a different brand!

:lol:

This Space For Rent

REVIEW BY: Eight Moti Reviewed Feb 15, 2009

Same problem as the previous reviewer. The drive worked at first then started making a strange clicking sound and wouldn't allow me to access the drive. I ran the test utility that came with the drive and it said to RMA the drive. This seems to be a known problem experienced by many with this model, it's a complete waste that Seagate makes you pay for shipping back to them especially when I have only had this drive for such a short period of time.

REVIEW BY: davolos Reviewed Jan 05, 2009

I have to say this is a very nice price for a very nice hard drive (if it works well). I purchased mine a month ago. No problems at first, I copy huge files (more than 500 gb) and erased them and repeat the process to check out the drive. It worked well until 2 days ago when I decided to consolidate all my info from 2 computers and 2 external HD. After I finished I was just browsing a folder with pictures and then I heard a strange clicking sound on the HD, then it wouldn't allow me to see any picture! Says they are currupted. Well I decided to restart my computer and then it wouldn't mount the drive. And the clicking sound persisted (in every computer I tried connecting) I never had a problem like this before. Now I have to return this drive and I ran Data Rescue II for PC and it couldn't retrieve any info (not need to be a genius there is a Hardware problem. Maybe it was just me, but I wouldn't recomend it, not anymore!. Buy from a different brand!

:lol:

I thought about buying one until I saw that Seagate makes it, DO NOT BUY A SEAGATE HARD DRIVE!

Seagate made the HD for the MacBooks that all had problems with crashing. I worked at Apple for a short time and everyone I worked with that had a macbook had their drive crash at some random time, mine happened to be 1 year and 4 months. Another girl that worked there had hers go out after 4 months. Luckily for me, I had leopard 2 weeks prior and got everything backed up.

I thought about buying one until I saw that Seagate makes it, DO NOT BUY A SEAGATE HARD DRIVE!

Seagate made the HD for the MacBooks that all had problems with crashing. I worked at Apple for a short time and everyone I worked with that had a macbook had their drive crash at some random time, mine happened to be 1 year and 4 months. Another girl that worked there had hers go out after 4 months. Luckily for me, I had leopard 2 weeks prior and got everything backed up.

Strange... I've had bad problems with Maxtor, but wonderful experiences with Seagate... And the Seagates are the only ones that have a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 years through the other manufactures.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Strange... I've had bad problems with Maxtor, but wonderful experiences with Seagate... And the Seagates are the only ones that have a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 years through the other manufactures.

I know that the specific HD that had problems was the one that was used in the MacBooks. That alone is enough for me not to use a seagate especially after seeing that their other drives fail as well.

As for maxtor, I've never had a problem with them :lol:

:iam:

I know that the specific HD that had problems was the one that was used in the MacBooks. That alone is enough for me not to use a seagate especially after seeing that their other drives fail as well.

As for maxtor, I've never had a problem with them :lol:

:iam:

But its a Mac... :p lol

We have Dells in our office and out of the 20 high performance XPS's we bought, 15 of them had failed raid configurations within 2 years directly relating to Maxtor.

But everyone has different experiences as well, I've been running 5 Seagate HD's in my computers at home for years, 1 is on my server that is on 24/7 and been that way for 5 years now running strong, the other ones run 24/7 as well, but not as old as the server drives yet.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

But its a Mac... :p lol

We have Dells in our office and out of the 20 high performance XPS's we bought, 15 of them had failed raid configurations within 2 years directly relating to Maxtor.

But everyone has different experiences as well, I've been running 5 Seagate HD's in my computers at home for years, 1 is on my server that is on 24/7 and been that way for 5 years now running strong, the other ones run 24/7 as well, but not as old as the server drives yet.

Exactly, hard drives are a fickle thing and everyone has different experiences.

Keep in mind that all hard drives will likely fail eventually. Realistically, I wouldnt plan on keeping a HD for more than 4 years or so.

Personally, I've had terrible luck with WD and Maxtor HDs over the years. I have had at least 3 of each brand fail within 2 years of purchasing each one. I've also had one 500GB Samsung drive fail in the first year.

So far my best luck seems to be with IBM (Hitachi) drives and Seagate drives, but your mileage (as always) may vary.

Go Cardinals!

Acer Aspire One 10.1" Netbook

Atom N270 1.6GHz

1GB DDR2 160GB HDD

Windows XP Home

$349.99

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/385163.jpg

Processor & Memory:

• Intel® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.6GHz)
  • 512KB L2 Cache
  • 533MHz Front Side Bus
  • 1GB DDR2 SDRAM single channel

Drives:

• 160GB (5,400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
  • NO OPTICAL DRIVE INCLUDED

Graphics & Video:

• 10.1" WSVGA CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD (1024 x 600)
  • Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
  • Integrated 0.3MP Acer Crystal Eye webcam

Communications:

• Acer InviLink™ 802.11b/g WLAN
  • 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Audio:

• Integrated stereo speakers

Card Slots:

• Multi-in-1 digital media card reader (supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, RS-MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD Picture Card)

Ports:

• 3 x USB 2.0
  • 1 x RJ-45 (LAN)
  • 1 x VGA
  • 1 x microphone-in
  • 1 x Kensington lock slot
  • 1 x headphone/speaker/line-out
  • 1 x AC adapter

Operating System:

• Microsoft Windows XP® Home

Additional Software:

• McAfee® Internet Security Suite (trial version)

Power Supply:

• 6-cell Li-Ion battery (4,400 mAh)

Additional Information:

• Sapphire Blue Chassis
  • Dimensions: 10.23" W x 8.01" D x 1.02"~1.31" H
  • Weight (approximate): 2.95 lbs.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

$256.99 (free shipping)

Acer Aspire One AOA110-1995 Netbook, 8.9" WSVGA, Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, w/ WLAN, Webcam, WinXP Home Edition

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/685/210459685.jpg

Tech Specs

Operating System:

- Genuine Windows XP Home Edition

Processor:

- Intel Atom Processor N270 (512KB L2 cache, 1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB)

Chipset:

- Mobile Intel 945GSE Express

Memory:

- 1GB (512MB onboard/512MB SODIMM slot) DDR2 533 SDRAM

Storage:

- 16GB* (8GB* internal/8GB* external) NAND flash memory (SSD)

Multi-in-one card reader:

- Supports optional MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card

Video:

- 8.9" WSVGA (1024 x 600) TFT LCD, Acer CrystalBrite Technology

- Up to 262,000 colors

- LED backlight

- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

- Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam

- VGA port

Audio:

- Two integrated stereo speakers

- Integrated digital microphone

- Headphones/speakers/line-out and microphone ports

- Microsoft DirectSound compatibility

Interface Ports:

- DC-in

- RJ-45 LAN

- VGA

- Headphones/speakers/line-out

- Microphone

- Three USB 2.0

Communication:

- Acer InviLink 802.11b/g wireless LAN, Acer SignalUp technology for enhanced antenna efficiency, WI-FI CERTIFIED

- 10/100 LAN

- Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam

Included Software:

- Acer eRecovery Management, Acer Launch Manager, Adobe Acrobat Reader, McAfee Internet Security Suite (trial version)

- 60-day trial of Microsoft Office Professional 2007 (select models only)

User Interface:

- 84-key keyboard, embedded numeric keypad, hotkey controls, 1.6mm minimum key travel, international language support

- 12 function, four cursor keys

- WLAN switch with LED

- Power button with LED

- Touchpad with two buttons

- USB mouse (select models only)

- one Windows key

$299.99

IdeaPad S10e : 1.6GHz Atom 10.1in display

http://service.pcconnection.com/images/inhouse/9185785.jpg

1.6GHz Intel Atom N270

512MB DDR2 SDRAM

80GB Hard Drive

No Optical Drive

10.1in 1024 x 576 Display

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

IEEE 802.11b+g

Fast Ethernet

Win XP Home

2.65lb(s)

1 Year Warranty

^ Old-school typewriter or nothing!!!! :D

Better yet, let's see who here is old enough to have "writing callouses" on their fingers! :lol:

----

Speaking of the iPhone -

Anyone come up with a datalogging app. for it, yet?

IIRC, the app. which emulated the G-Tech was pretty popular.......

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I did see this for the iphone...

I checked this out and it seems to be the long awaited answer to many prayers. However, though the 'lite' version is free, the program itself costs $50 and the WiFi OBDII adapter is $250. So $300 for the fully functional package.

I couldn't determine if the application did logging, for one thing. Also, the WiFi adapter is "out of stock" although another place said it wasn't actually available yet. It is just a matter of time, however, until it is all available.

Personally, for $300 it would have to have logging capabilities, and the WiFi should be able to connect to a laptop application. Wireless logging, gauges for everything, etc......the stuff of dreams for sure.