LegacyGT.com

Sway bar sizes

I've been reading the posts concerning ride quality on OB XTs. I have decided to get a front and rear stabilizer bars to begin with. My question lies with size. Should I get 20mm, 22mm, or 25mm? Size does matter. I have a long rough dirt road to contend with daily. I haven't been able to find anything on this topic.

Whoa! I'd say the only option for the rear on that list is the 20. Your stock bar is 15mm. The JDM Legacy bar is 19mm. Going 22 will really bias your car towards the rear, 25 would be way over the top.

With a spec.B lowered on pinks, I have the AVO 20 mm solid bar on the rear, and it is plenty. The car is now slightly rear-biased, just as I like it. If you put a 25 on there without balancing it with the front, your OB is going to handle like a lifted, RWD Ford Lighnting.

Just my opinion. I urge moderation. Especially with a rough road to deal with every day.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I didn't want to get my wife in over her head cornering, so to speak,the 20mm did make a nice difference but is not as good as what your looking at , she's used to ripping around in our Z on weekends , I really like our outback but my wife is still trying to get past the "it's a wagon" stage , I tinted the back windows in a attempt to make it cooler looking,I think when she starts to drive it

she will really like it, Craig.

P.S. if it was my everyday driver I would have it tricked out like the rest of board

members cars !:)

The JDM rear bar is 20mm, but hollow. About equivalent to a solid 18 mm if my calculations are right.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 3 weeks later...
As far as towing goes, do you guys think a rear bar will make a difference? I have an 08 2.5i which I guess has the factory 15mm bar on it. Will putting on something "beefier" help while towing a trailer on the highway?

Beefier sways will definitely calm down that "death wobble" you get on an uneven transition or whatever - when hauling a load I would think that's all the more important to stay flat & stable.

It will not help the rear squat though - if you're overloading the rear springs, the only thing to do is get stiffer springs.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Beefier sways will definitely calm down that "death wobble" you get on an uneven transition or whatever - when hauling a load I would think that's all the more important to stay flat & stable.

It will not help the rear squat though - if you're overloading the rear springs, the only thing to do is get stiffer springs.

Thanks. You know of anyplace that sells stiffer lift springs or anything?

HAH! Uh - no. Megan Racing Coilovers is it.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead...coz I was trying to figure out what my stock front sway bar size is. 15mm rear, 16 mm front? I looked at it just now and it looks bigger than 16mm.

I get that death wobble after cornering out of a dip a lot. The body roll is ridiculous.

Got the Perrin 25mm for rear sway...thinking about a 25mm front as well.

... I was trying to figure out what my stock front sway bar size is. 15mm rear, 16 mm front?

I get that death wobble after cornering out of a dip a lot. The body roll is ridiculous.

Got the Perrin 25mm for rear sway...thinking about a 25mm front as well.

Just measure the sway bar's diameter.

I think the "death wobble" comment was regarding towing.

My 2¢: the body roll isn't that bad, and it isn't really the problem. The problem is the crappy shocks.

Anyway, if you ONLY replace the rear bar, then you'll have horrific (dangerous) oversteer. Minor changes in sway bar diameter can make big differences in front/rear oversteer/understeer "balance." If you're going to dramatically upsize the rear bar, then you should install a larger front bar, too.

Bimmer

True...I should go ahead and do the Outback Bilstein conversion group buy while I'm at it. I just ordered the 25mm front bar, so now I'll have 25 mm F / R. Although the front bar I got is hollow so apparently it is more like a 23 mm F / 25 mm R.

Archived