LegacyGT.com

Mod plan - solid or just mad ramblings?

In a couple other posts, I noted that I am finally upgrading my tires (36k/2.5 years on the stockers) and brakes + brake fluid (same as tires). Other than maintenance and cleaning I haven’t done anything to my car until now. I have always been of the “when it breaks, replace with higher quality components” philosophy.

The other significant part of being at 36k miles is that I am no longer under warranty (except for the powertrain) so the mod bug is starting to bite.

My plan is:

Brakes + fluid (Hawk HPS and ATE Super Blue)

Tires (Kumho SPT)

Short throw

Transmission mount

Coilovers (Probably Tein Basics or Megan Racing)

Clutch when it goes with ACT and new flywheel…not going to replace that until the old one is slipping

After taking care of this then:

Zeitronix LCD gauge (EGT, Boost, wideband O2)

Finally

Up-pipe

Down-pipe

Open source tune…(with lots of logging and using the ECU and Zeitronix log/gauges to set the tune and monitor)

Figure all said and done would cost about $4200. Some of that money is being used to replace worn out pieces (tires, brakes, clutch, possibly coilovers), rest is more just for fun. My goal would be to do 1 major upgrade a year until it was done.

This year:

Brakes and tires

Next year:

Coilovers

Year after:

Short throw, tranny mount, clutch, flywheel

Finally:

Gauges, up-pipe and down-pipe

This seems like a good plan to keep the car fresh to me year after year without dumping a ton of money into it all at once and being able to get some tangible results after each upgrade.

I would think that by the time I finished the car would be set up the way it should have been from the factory.

Sounds like a nice conservative plan. Although I priced everything out (save for the clutch) at ~$2000. Maybe $4200 if you buy everything from cobb and perrin, but if you shop right I think you can get everything for half of that.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Clutch/flywheel is $900, tires are $550 (installed/out the door. Tire racks price is great but everyone charges a fortune to install so it was cheaper to just buy directly from Discount tire) and brake pads + fluid is $185 (shipped) so that right three is almost $1600.

Tein basics $800

STS and tranny mount $200

Zeitronix LCD gauge for EGT, boost and wideband $600 (from their website)

up-pipe & down pipe $500ish

Tactronix cable $90

This works out to $3825, if I can find stuff a little cheaper that would be cool...

Oh I would do F&R tranny bushings over the tranny mount.

+1

I have an SPT STI hardened mount and it makes the tranny pretty freakin loud. I only install it when I go to the track. The bushings will take some of the play out of the drivetrain without all the gear noise and they are only about $25.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived