LegacyGT.com

Saab 9-3

Guest JessterCPA

Guest JessterCPA
Good morning all. Driving home last night (this seems like a pattern) and a guy in a Saab 9-3 cuts behind me on the off ramp and is really on my tail. On the overpass ramp (which is two lanes) he tries to pass and gets blocked by a slow car. I switch to manu-matic and drop it to 3, anticipating a nice drag race at the end of the ramp. Well, it happened, and he springs out to the fast lane. I let him get to my door, look back, wave bye-bye to him, and just pull away. A tractor trailer got in front of me, and not wanting to cause an accident, slowed down and resumed my normal drive home. He hit his 4-ways signifying his defeat. What a nice end to a long day.

[quote name='JessterCPA']Good morning all. Driving home last night (this seems like a pattern) and a guy in a Saab 9-3 cuts behind me on the off ramp and is really on my tail. On the overpass ramp (which is two lanes) he tries to pass and gets blocked by a slow car. I switch to manu-matic and drop it to 3, anticipating a nice drag race at the end of the ramp. Well, it happened, and he springs out to the fast lane. I let him get to my door, look back, wave bye-bye to him, and just pull away. A tractor trailer got in front of me, and not wanting to cause an accident, slowed down and resumed my normal drive home. He hit his 4-ways signifying his defeat. What a nice end to a long day.[/QUOTE] No, he hit his 4ways signifying YOUR defeat, but you knew better. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Id be interrested to see how the LGT does against a Saab 9-3 Viggen on the highway. That car pulls like a train in 3rd gear (when it finally gets full tq and hp). - Tq steer is out of this world tho - nearly pulled me accross the lanes bc I wasnt expecting it. None the less it would be an interresting highway run. Jeff

[quote name='sgtpeper']Id be interrested to see how the LGT does against a Saab 9-3 Viggen on the highway. That car pulls like a train in 3rd gear (when it finally gets full tq and hp). - Tq steer is out of this world tho - nearly pulled me accross the lanes bc I wasnt expecting it. None the less it would be an interresting highway run. Jeff[/QUOTE] I just happened to be a former Viggen owner ;) Great car. The Viggen never really got that good of performance reviews. In fact, I think the best 1/4 mile times I ever saw when I owned my car was 15.0 flat. Still on top end, it would get our GT I think. Once the turbo kicked in, it was hold on! Here is a great pic of my car that has made it around the net for a couple of years now: [url="http://users.dcr.net/%7Ercatron/viggen.html"]http://users.dcr.net/~rcatron/viggen.html[/url] I loved the seats in my Viggen - the best sport bucket I'd ever sat in, and they were top notch quality (and that smell....) Rob

THe one I test drove was a convertible. Same color as yours. I had a 9000 for a winter car once while my supra turbo was resting :) Saab leather is incredible. Very thick and comfy. Have to ask - what made you switch from a viggen to a LGT? Im getting in the market now and the LGT is moving up my list. I really love the VW R32 but they are basically sold out - and I am graduating college in may and feel the R32 might be just a tad too young looking for me. Plus I will be going into the real estate world and will most likely need rear seats that are easy to get in and out of. But back to my question - what made you switch? Thanks Jeff

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='sgtpeper']Plus I will be going into the real estate world and will most likely need rear seats that are easy to get in and out of. [/QUOTE] This was a big reason for me. Even compared with my Jetta, the back seat in this car is something I was proud to put clients & co-workers in. Plus a big Britax car seat fits good also. Not a chance of this in a R32. R32 is a cool car no doubt. VW reliability is a little questionable. I am very satisfied with my choice though.

I agree with you Drift Monkey, but in the case of the R32 for under 1k you can upgrade the haldex unit to be more aggressive which apparantly gets rid of any tq steer and makes it handle more neutrally. For what it is the R32 is a great car - just not what I need right now Im thinking :)

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Drift Monkey']Viggen - FWD R32 - Haldex THe descion was easy for me...[/QUOTE] Forgive me....whats wrong with Haldex?

Volvo has all rights to haldex products. It is a majority FWD system. When the front wheels slip a certain amount THEN power is transferred to the rear wheels - but can never transfer the full 100% to them. Maybe find this really FWD biased system to be bad. It does have understear until you put a RSB on. That is supposed to help the system greatly. Jeff

[quote name='sgtpeper']THe one I test drove was a convertible. Same color as yours. I had a 9000 for a winter car once while my supra turbo was resting :) Saab leather is incredible. Very thick and comfy. Have to ask - what made you switch from a viggen to a LGT? Im getting in the market now and the LGT is moving up my list. I really love the VW R32 but they are basically sold out - and I am graduating college in may and feel the R32 might be just a tad too young looking for me. Plus I will be going into the real estate world and will most likely need rear seats that are easy to get in and out of. But back to my question - what made you switch? Thanks Jeff[/QUOTE] Well, she's now almost three years old (the reason that I switched ;) -- haha. Actually, I LOVED the Viggen. Excellent car with great interior. Top notch. I actually traded it (it was a 1999 model) for a 2000 SAAB 9-5 SE due to my wife and I having our daughter Paige back in March of 2002. One thing about SAABs is their dismal resale value. I got mine, with I think around 6,000 miles for around $25,000 at the time (I think it was in the Spring of 2000 and mine was a 1999 model). Plus, my wife refused to drive the manual Viggen (not a bad, thing, eh?) - but really, she needed to be able to comfortably drive both of our cars, so I traded. The 9-5 was excellent as well. I always thought that it felt much stronger than the 200 HP it was rated out. The interior was very large. So, to make a long story short about the LGT: I work for a company that is an OEM supplier to Subaru's Subaru of Indiana Automotive in LaFayetter, IN (SIA). I went up for a Tribeca project meeting back in June of last year. When I went into the main entry way, they had place a Silver GT Limited and a Garnet Red Outback XT Turbo. I mean as shiny as anyone could possibly get a car to look. Needless to say, I fell in love. As far as practicality, the 9-5's interior was much, much more spacious in the back seat. The most notable different was in shoulder room and leg room, but mainly shoulder room. You could really stretch out back there. Still, I like sporty cars at heart, so I came back to Oldham's Subaru in Lexington, KY that following weekend, and by the following Thursday, I brought home my LGT. My company gets a nice VIP deal (invoice cost) and at the time, that was a great deal, so that cinched it. I think the LGT would be a perfect choice for you. Sofisticated, yet very fast and fun to drive. Quality and longevity wise, I really think the Sube would be a better investment (if you can call it that) over the VW. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. Rob

I went from a 900 turbo convertible to a 9-3 convertible to a 9-5 to a GT limited. My son has a new 9-3 Everything you say about the 9-5 is true. It is a very nice car. The GT is just fun to drive and has all the comfort and luxury that I need.

Archived