LegacyGT.com

GT turbo thrust vs. 350 vette

I know a 350hp vette will have a better 0-60 time than the GT. I know it has more hp, etc. But, at the moment that the GT turbo kicks in (and for the duration of that event) how does that 'rush' compare to said vette for that small moment in time. I'm just wondering if the nice 'push in the back' that you get from the vette is reproduced for even a few moments when the GT turbo kicks in. How do those 'moments compare? Thanks in advance.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Depends on what year 350 'Vette you mean- technically, the new ones aren't even 350 cubic inches anymore. There were 350 'Vettes in the 70's and early 80's making like 170 hp. I think Cali even got a 'Vette with a really choked 305 :lol:

I drove an 04 mustang last year when they were really dealing. To ME the wrx felt faster, I think because when the turbo kicked in there was that sudden rush to speed, whereas with the v8 its a more linear response. My gf said the same thing. Another guy I know though thought the mustang felt faster. Guess its all individual perception.

Well the moment the boost really builds the car is still only making 250hp, and the Vette would be making 350 at the same point say. Just think logically.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

The question is odd because you are not telling us which 350 Vette you are talking about. Perhaps you don't know much about them? If you are talking about a new C6, forget about it. It will pull on the Legacy at all rpm ranges. If you are talking about an LS1 Vette ('97 thru '04), forget about it, it will pull on the Legacy at all rpm ranges. IF you are talking about the LT1 Vette (early thru mid '90s), it might be a good race, 0-60mph. On the highway, forget about it. If you are talking about an 80's Tuned-port Vette, the Legacy will outperform those in most situations.

My dad had an automatic 84 vette with the cross fire injection and it was pretty slow. The Legacy would smoke it and most 350 vette's 73-84. 85's had tuned port injection and legacy should still smoke that, 89's got the 6 speed and that would be a closer race. I agree...the LT1's would be a good race. All C5's and obviously C6's should walk on a Legacy. My dad has had a Corvette for all of my life. He had a 74, two 78 silver anniversary's, 84, 85, 89, 97, and now a 98 convertible 6-speed.

[quote name='legandrex']My dad had an automatic 84 vette with the cross fire injection and it was pretty slow. The Legacy would smoke it and most 350 vette's 73-84. 85's had tuned port injection and legacy should still smoke that, 89's got the 6 speed and that would be a closer race. I agree...the LT1's would be a good race. All C5's and obviously C6's should walk on a Legacy. My dad has had a Corvette for all of my life. He had a 74, two 78 silver anniversary's, 84, 85, 89, 97, and now a 98 convertible 6-speed.[/QUOTE] Thank God that cross-fire injection didn't last very long, but it did represent a step in the right direction. Car manufacturers were finally starting to add horsepower again.

My dad's 78 silver anniversary had the L-82 engine with 4-speed stick and was pretty strong. He couldn't keep up with his two buddies that had Pantera's. One was white and one was black. The black pantera had weber carbs and it was rarely running right. When I was about 7 years old I got a ride in the white pantera and it scared the living heck out of me. It was crazy fast and loud. My dad couldn't take being slower so he had a turbo installed on his vette. It rarely created consistent boost, but did fool a few unsuspecting people from time to time. I don't think aftermarket turbo's in late 70's were too good on corvette's.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Engines in the late 70's weren't very good, period. I remember the first of the T-types were carbuereted turbo combos. Really funny looking now to see the setup.

I was referring to a circa '99 or so. I drove a friend's 350 automatic. While I could feel the thrust when I stomped on the pedal (not from a standing start) and it was enjoyable, I was a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps it was because I didn't take the shifter and do it manually. I don't know. I have driven (many years ago) in a couple friends souped up '69 camaro and '68 mustang and I seem to recall that it was a bit more of an 'event'. When I hear folks here speak so highly of the turbo acceleration, I wonder how exciting it can be when it can't even match the '99 (ish) 350 automatic downshift. The GT is out-torqued by 100 lbs. or whatever. So, I suppose I 'shouldn't' expect even as much 'push back in your seat' as the 350 automatic. Thanks for all the replies.

The main difference with the '99 Vette (LS1) is that it will pull as hard from 100 to 130mph as it will from 70 to 100. They just keep pulling HARD, but the Legacy, although it also has a fairly consistant powerband, will fall further and further behind the Vette from 70mph on. In fact, unless you have something like a twin-turbo Supra, don't even try to chase down an LS1 car on the highway. Its suicide. You may have been underwhelmed because a)you didn't stay on the throttle long enough to appreciate to top-of-the-gear acceleration of the Vette (which means you were smart enough not to get reckless), and b)the modern Corvette is a more refined, smooth and stable automobile at high speeds.

the acceleration of a turbo subaru is okay, but i only consider (from ownership experience) the STi as a seat-planting experience. the legacy GT has a nice push, but it does not pin you in your seat. any c5 corvette will pin you in your seat. PIN.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='lemming']the acceleration of a turbo subaru is okay, but i only consider (from ownership experience) the STi as a seat-planting experience. the legacy GT has a nice push, but it does not pin you in your seat. any c5 corvette will pin you in your seat. PIN.[/QUOTE] True. But try the AP Stage1 and you may reconsider your statement.

[quote name='jedimaster']True. But try the AP Stage1 and you may reconsider your statement.[/QUOTE] dude, i love my legacy. i wouldn't ever try to say it's not a special car, but it's still way behind the STi that i owned in terms of sheer thrust and power to weight and gearing. and both of those aforementioned cars are light years behind my z06 in terms of sheer thrust. even if you tweaked the hell out of the ej-25 with a twinscroll setup you would need a lot of money and effort to get it to equal what dumb americans accomplish with sheer cubic inches. i don't doubt that it's not possible, but as the original poster queried, in its OEM configuration, there is just no way it's even close to the thrust of most v8s. i mean, let's think about this. any c5 is 400 pounds lighter than most legacy GT's. and at 1000rpms at the rear wheels they probably put down 300-315ft-lbs of torque. a v8 does not have lag, either. it does not detract from the L-GT ownership experience at all because most days i prefer the LGT, but i wouldn't want to sponsor propagation of myth, either.

Archived