LegacyGT.com

Armrest Concern

Hmm... another thing about the interior shot is that the GT seats don't seem as bolstered as the JDM counterparts. Time will tell if they are adequate or not. I mean, all they really had to do IMHO was lift the WRX seats, reskin them and they're all set. I love those seats.

[quote name='racerdave']Hmm... another thing about the interior shot is that the GT seats don't seem as bolstered as the JDM counterparts. Time will tell if they are adequate or not. I mean, all they really had to do IMHO was lift the WRX seats, reskin them and they're all set. I love those seats.[/quote] Remember that the JDM market gets seats that are sized for JDM drivers. The average USDM driver is significantly...erm...larger than the average JDM driver. :lol: I recall sitting in the Outback seats, which I presume will be the same as the ones on the GT, and having no complaints at all with support or bolstering. I really like the '02-'03 WRX seats. The '04 seats hit me in all the wrong places. I also wonder if Subaru didn't simply re-skin WRX seats because of the problem that I mentioned above. I am 5'9 1/2" tall, and a burly 205 lbs. If the '04 WRX seats make me uncomfortable, the same would be true of the average, significantly less fit American, but to a much greater degree. The Legacy/Outback is Subaru's bread and butter. They would rather have an enthusiast leave the dealership because the seats aren't hardcore enough, than have your average sedan shopper leave because the seats are uncomfortable for them. Audi has very nice seats in the S4, for example, but that's a whole different ballgame, price-wise. Generally, you won't find racy seats in an automaker's bread and butter sedan. Kevin

I was speaking to the 02 WRX seats... the ones I have ths most time in. Well, I guess we shall see how they fit me... 6'1 and 220 (about 215 by the time I see the car) once I can sit in one. I can say this... seats can be a make-or-break item for me. If they don't fit well, it can be a deal-breaker. I realize aftermarket options may be available but it's just that -- maybe. The G35 is a nice car, but the seats stink and aftermarkets are not available (b/c of airbags in the sides), so the car's off my list.

I love the seats in my mom's GC RS, every time I get in to drive or ride shotgun I always say how much I like them and how much they conform to my body. I'm 6'1, about 215-220lbs (hope to be back down around 200 by the time I get my car.) The newer seats seem to get, the less bolstered and well fitting they seem to get. Personally I love the ones that are in the Passat of a fellow SCC member, I sat in them during an ice race for timing and they felt like something to die for they were so comfortable. :P As per the armrest, I'm not a fan of having anything to put my center arm on, gets in the way of shifting for me and I don't rest my elbow there anyhow. Some people want extra storage there, but I if you want extra storage, that's not where I'd like to see it.

The arm rest do seem a bit further back. From what I know in my Accord V6 (top of the line model), the height and distance of the arm rest from the shifter plays a very important role and I find mine very comfortable. Some cars that I have tested lately including the BMW 3 series, VW Passat, Audi A4 & Lexus IS300 do seem to be in awkward positions and do not have the same comfort level as what I have right now. If the height is higher or lower, your arms will be tired easily even on short trips around town - what more on longer trips? We will have to see about the bolstering of the seats and from the pic, it seems ok. Only a test drive will tell us this. The best and most comfortable seats there is out in the market is that of the Acura TL and Volvo S60.

I think the adjustable armrest is the best solution. That way, people who don't want it there can push it out of the way. That's the way the armrests in our Infiniti FX35 work.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Archived