LegacyGT.com

Lock-out, Watch-out

BEWARE Took car to hand wash car wash today, of course I was in a big hurry and when I closed door with keys in ignition, as car wash signs say and got out of car closing door behind me, it locked. Holly Cow! I thought only Detroit cars locked you out. My Lexus and German cars did not do that. It seems that I saw something about this topic on this site before, but it obviously did not register with me. Take note and BEWARE. More on this later, after I play with keys and details of how this happens. Really got caught off guard. Very lucky wife was near by and came with extra key.

Wow, that's kind of scary because I always get out of the car to get the mail and am paranoid about locking myself out. Thanks for the heads up. I had an old car that would do that within the first 15 seconds of starting the car but it could also detect when the door is/was open so it wouldn't lock you out.

I believe that the "Auto-Lock" is one of those features that can be selected to be either on or off by the dealer. I thought that the default seting was off, and is "I believe" off on my '05 with Mfg. date 8/05. The dealer has to connect their electronic programming device to the car and select the feature to change the setting.

Thanks for info HarryD, As I said, I am going to play around with my key and different sequences of key in car, key in ignition, door closed to better understand how this works. Again, I was at car wash. Started to get out of car with key in hand and I remembered I had to leave the key in ignition for car wash guy so I put key back in ignition, got out of car and closed front door. Thats when I got bit. More later,

Guest *Jedimaster*
Auto-lock? I thought we didn't have that. I've tried to lock myself out and had no luck- if the key is in the ignition and you open the door, then hit the lock button, it unlocks on its' own.

My car, when I remove the key out of the ignition, and step away from the car, it beeps and locks in about 3 minutes. If I leave the key in, in the first place the car will not lock. I tried pulling the key, putting it back in, and whamo, it locked in 3 minutes. Now my car never autolocked before until I changed the battery, so I too am looking to disable this feature.

I have the exact opposite feature. If I hit lock with the driver door open and the key in, it immediately unlocks again. Never auto-locks, but I don't have that feature enabled. I believe it's in the service manual...

• 2 weeks later...
I was about to leave to drive out of town the other night and it was very cold, so I went out to start my car and went back inside. Much to my chagrin, when attempting to get back into my car I found that I was locked out. I called roadside assistance and after a long hold they said they were sending a locksmith. I really didnt relish the thought of someone forcing there way into my car. So, at the same time my friend called a subaru dealer and they said if I could get there they would cut a key for free. My friend took me there to the Subie dealer and as promised I got the key for free. I have no idea how that happened. I thought maybe I had hit the lock with my hand, I really doubt that had happened. So this morn I start my car at my house go back inside to finish getting ready. Try to leave and bam the same thing. Of course this time I'm alone at my apartment and my keys to my apartment and my wallet are locked inside of the car. My spare keys are in the apartment of course. With some luck and a bit of ingenuity I am able to get into my apartment. Anyway I wonder what is going on to make this keep happening? Is the door some how locking when I shut the door after starting the car. I just wanted to let folks know and see if this has happened to anyone else.

Interested to hear how this gets resolved. It does sound like there is a logic piece to this in the locking mechanism that can be switched on/off according to preference. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived