LegacyGT.com

New guy oil question (yes I searched)

I know this is a topic covered at large in this forum, but I would like my own answer I guess. I am a huge fan of M1 0w-40, to those of you who run synthetic and have a Subaru extended warrenty, how often does everyone change their oil with the new service bullitens out? I know keeping records is a must, but sythetic every 3750 come on! BTW, I just got a 2005 GT 39k miles White/tan, absolutely love this car.

I am a huge fan of M1 0w-40, to those of you who run synthetic and have a Subaru extended warrenty, how often does everyone change their oil with the new service bullitens out?

I don't think I have ever seen M1 0W-40 at the store. I mostly use M1 5W-30 and change it every 5,000 miles. I tried the GC 0w-30 for 5,000 miles and loved it but I can't find them locally anymore. I'm thinking about going down to 4,000 miles because of the TSB. I know the M1 is good for well pass 4,000 miles and I'm wasting money but I figure it's cheap insurance if I ever need warranty work.

From what I've read over on bobistheoilguy.com M1 0W-40 is good stuff but shears down fairly quickly if you do any track time or hard use. German Castrol 0W-30 seems to hold up better according to lots of guys over on that board. I go about 5-6k on GC with an OEM filter. For personal piece of mind if you're worried, just get a UOA done. I don't think the 3,750 service bulletin pertains to pre 08 cars for warranty claims.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, as for the stress being put on the car it isn't much. This is actually my wife's car, my daily is an E36 M3. The most abuse the LGT will get is when it takes 1000 mile trip down south in a month or so. I have had great luck in both of my bimmers with 0w-40 however I have no prior experience with subaru's or even turbo engines for that matter. It sounds like 0-40 will work b/c the car will see ZERO track time, just a lot of highway miles. If anyone has experience or has heard anything bad about this choice for this engine please give me a heads up.

Thanks,

Matt

Archived