LegacyGT.com

Just installed springs: Now clunking/popping while turning. Help.

600whp-Prelude

Just a few mins ago I installed Progress springs on my 05 LGT (just the fronts, because I need my other tools for the rear), and I went to go for a test ride, and upon turning the wheel there is a very noticable popping/clunking while tuning the wheel, even when stopped and turning it, and I was wondering if anyone has run into the same problem, and knows what it is. BTW I am using the stock struts if it matters (30k miles). Thanks alot guys.

Did you make sure that the tophat is properly seated on the strut? Check the strut bolts to see if they are tight under hood. I had similar noises when I went over speed bumps and turned the wheel after installing new Bilstein struts and springs. I had tightened them down, but because I didn't use a spring compressor when I put the springs back on, the top bolt got tight before the tophat was actually sitting on the spacer just below the threads.

Thanks alot fot your reply. I didn't use a spring compressor either, so maybe I will pull them back off and use one. Once it's daylight I will take a look and see whats going on, and hopfully it wil be an easy fix. Also, does anyone have any tips for getting the rear lower shock bolt out?

More than likely its the tophats/"bearings". Do you remember the washers that go between the strut and tophat? That's a swivel point that rotates every time you turn the steering wheel.

For the lower rear shock bolt, many people (including myself) have had luck with using the weight of the car to break torque on the bolt. Attach your ratchet/wrench/breaker bar to the bolt, and use a jack on the handle to apply the car's weight. Just make sure you are applying the force in the right direction.

Regarding the rear bolts, once you have the nut off, I found it helpful to use the stock jack to lift the bottom of the shock to get the load off the bolt. After that I used a socket extension to punch it out. Fortunately my bolts broke easily on an 08 Legacy.

I got it fixed guys! It ended up being that the part that cups the top of the spring wasn't seating properly, so I spun it and that took care of the clunk, and I ended up getting the rears done real quick by using the car weight method, and all in all it looks great, and reides great too, so needless to say I am very happy with the progress spring setup. Thanks alot for all of your help guys.

Archived