LegacyGT.com

Does anyone else get alot of condensation inside?

[quote name='NonovUrbizniz']Ummmm... RIGHHHHHHT. Funny cuz my car had basically a puddle hanging off the windshield last week and now and everyday since then there is NO CONDENSATION. Water only condensates when it is warmer than another surface (the glass)... As long as you are not re-introducing LOTS of water (IE shoes full of snow.) during driving hours the humidity of the air will NOT cause condensation. It'll cause a LITE fog. Which takes next to no time to clear with the defroster. a/c on or off. Also as per your instructions the water will NEVER be removed from the interior of the car. It'll just be cleared from the windshield... Only running the a/c on re-circulate will remove moisture from the interiors air... which you can't do when on defrost mode... it'd take about 5hrs for the a/c's condensor to pull all the moisture out of the air inside the car... so your problem isn't solved... it's temporarly settled. Wipe away the water... if it's there again the next day do it again... it won't re-appear unless you re-introduce lots more water.[/QUOTE] Maybe you need to review your middle school science. Condensation is caused by humidity in the air depositing on a cold surface. When it is humid outside, humid air enters your car by the vents and when you open the doors. Then at night, the outside air cools and cools down the car's glass. Moisture from the air inside the car then condenses on the inside of the cool glass. Anyone with half a brain knows that to defog a window, you use the defrost setting which is outside air and a/c. Your assertion to use recirculate is absolutely absurd. Why do you think that most modern HVAC systems don't even allow you to turn on recirc with the defroster on? Because of people like you! Moisture that condenses on the glass overnight will continue to do so, REGARDLESS OF HVAC SETTINGS OR WIPING THE WINDSHIELD, as long as the outside air is humid and the temperature drops overnight. That's a fact. In your case, your wiping the windshield almost certainly corresponded with a change in the relative humidity of the outside air. -Nick

A. You just explained condensation EXACTLY how I did... And thanks for the suggestion on the middle school science... I think my college level chemistry left me plenty equiped to describe condensation. B. The a/c system DRIES AIR... by means of the reciever/dryer and the condensor... If you re-circulate the air it DRIES the air INSIDE your car instead of drying outside air and blowing it on your wet inside air. C. Moisture condenses ONLY if it's present... If you wipe up the majority of the water and do not re-introduce LARGE amounts of water it will not puddle up on the glass... it will fog up the windows which is NOT a big deal. FYI moisture content of the air is no where near sufficient to create water deposits on the glass... it's enough to fog the windows. And as far as my wiping corresponding with the humidity... RIGHHHHTT... It was raining for 3 days after I wiped the water off... and the glass remained water free until I re-introduced a LARGE amount of water into the cabin.. .via snow on my shoes... then the window puddled again... I wiped it clean... and guess what... it didn't happen again even during rain the following days. Theres a BIG difference between the window fogging up and having water condense on it. Fog is from humidity... condensation is from excess water inside the car.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm getting this lately from the snow on my shoes I believe. I had a small sheet of ice on the inside of the windshield this morning. Also turned on the rear defrost to clear the ice and fouind the rear window was dripping on the inside. I figure that's from the snow brush I keep in the back. I have the climate control on outside and all that- it's just a lot of water from the snow.

[quote name='jedimaster']I'm getting this lately from the snow on my shoes I believe. I had a small sheet of ice on the inside of the windshield this morning. Also turned on the rear defrost to clear the ice and fouind the rear window was dripping on the inside. I figure that's from the snow brush I keep in the back. I have the climate control on outside and all that- it's just a lot of water from the snow.[/QUOTE] That's exactly the same thing I experienced the other day. I mean, I've had windows get fogged before, but never dripping wet. Weird. I always leave my cc system set to vent, but does the vent close when the car gets turned off? Is that what's causing this excessive moisture build-up? sqrl b8

As mentioned above. If you have liquid water forming (condensating) on your window's it is DEFINATELY from excess water introduced to the cabin via either wet/snowy shoes or other means of LARGE amounts of water... NOT FROM HUMIDITY. Whether the vent stays open or shut on shut down of the car it will not allow enough atmospheric humidity inside to cause water deposits.

Each night, I build a [b]miniature snowman[/b] in my cup holder. Once parked in the garage, he slowly melts to form condensation on all interior glass surfaces. Now, since I also sift granulated 'iced mocha latte' enough to cover all the glass, I awake to a refreshing morning beverage. Problem solved. FYI: If I want a [u]warm[/u] cup, I simply place it in the useless cubby-hole above the trip computer...

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='BlkLegGt']Each night, I build a [b]miniature snowman[/b] in my cup holder. Once parked in the garage, he slowly melts to form condensation on all interior glass surfaces. Now, since I also sift granulated 'iced mocha latte' enough to cover all the glass, I awake to a refreshing morning beverage. Problem solved. FYI: If I want a [u]warm[/u] cup, I simply place it in the useless cubby-hole above the trip computer...[/QUOTE] Doesn't the snowman make the Trunk Monkey feel jealous?

• 7 years later...
I have a 2012 Legacy and I get a lot of moisture on windshield when car sits outside since it has gotten colder. My windshield always has water lines running down the windshield from the water drying on window. I went shopping the other day and came out to my car and my windshield was soaked on the inside. I took it to the dealership and the said they checked the seals and everything was ok. I have never had this problem in any of the vehicles I have owned in the past. Something has to be wrong.

Archived