LegacyGT.com

Noise In My Clutch?!?

parado25

Hi everyone,

I have an '03 Legacy 2.5GT that's making annoying ticky noises, that I suspect is coming from or caused by the clutch-box. While my foot is off the clutch and the car is in neutral, the ticking can be heard. Even while I'm driving, the weird noises can be heard as well (with the radio off). However, whenever pressure is applied to the clutch in neutral, the noises stop.

Does anyone know how to rid this annoying sound? Do I have to replace or repair anything?

Thanks everyone!

Had the same problem with my subie, the problem is that the spring on the throw out bearing doesn't push the throwout bearing completely away from the clutch fingers. thus the clicking. i got a 2$ spring from a local auto store and bent it in such a way to help pull the clutch lever back just enough to keep it from clicking. don't however use a strong spring that will compress your clutch piston because if you do, you will be going down the road and your clutch will go to the floor and nothing will happen.

you could do this yourself if you have some mechanical aptitude. my solution described above is a pretty improvised solution. If you go to a mechanic they might say that the throwout bearing is going bad, which is also possible. the only reason i knew mine was still good is that i just rebuilt the engine on my subie (headgasket) and replaced the clutch components as well while i was in there. if you have a good mechanic, they should be able to tell the diffrence. If you can put up with the clicks, this is not detrimental to your car. just annoying. Good Luck!

Archived