LegacyGT.com

Trailer Hitch

TambourineMan

• 5 weeks later...

That liberty hitch looks awesome, but I doubt it would work on a US car. (being an aussie part)

Some more info on where I'm at with my search for a low profile hitch for my 2007 (US) legacy wagon (non-outback, non-gt)...

I purchased and tried out a hitch -- I think mine was draw-tite branded, but it seems like the same hitch is being sold under lots of different names. It looked like the one depicted here and had the same part number:

http://www.draw-tite.net/pdf/N36334.pdf

As you can see from the installation instructions, the plate near the receiver bolts _under_ the car's tow hook. This puts the receiver pretty low -- after installation I had about 9" of clearance at the business end of the reciever, which is low enough to hit the ground when reaching the bottom of my sloped driveway. Even if your driveway is flat, the thing is fugly hanging down a couple inches below the bumper.

I've seen some comments that you can mess with the spacing to get the hitch's plate above the tow hook, but I suspect that would angle the hitch up and mess with its structural integrity. So I returned it.

Next, I'm going to try putting the OEM hitch on there. I've done some investigation into how the OEM hitch attaches differently from the draw-tite, and why the OEM hitch is not officially supported by subaru on my car. I will add that info to this thread later.

Archived