LegacyGT.com

Subaru more reliable than Toyota!

el scorcho

^+1 But they are not describing it as a tranny failure which is good. The PR guys at Toyota are saying that the tranny takes 500 miles to adapt to the driver. Personally I have never heard of such a thing but hey at least you can still get home and the car won't set fire to your house ;)

I wasn't aware of any problems with their 3.5L. Seems like I would if there were problems since its also in the Highlander, Avalon, GS, ES, IS, and RX.

The internet babble seems to point to the transmission (6-speed automatic). Basically, it blows. My wife's got an '04 Camry SE V6 with the 5-spd automatic. It sucks as well. Multiple reviews have pointed to the same common problem of both the current and previous generation of Camrys:

Say you're slowing down (maybe 5mph or so). Then, traffic speeds up. Unless you barely press the gas pedal, the car downshifts to 1st gear for no apparent reason and jerks the whole car.

I was about to report this problem to the dealer until I read reviews from auto mags that report the same problem in '07/'08s.

My wife's 1990 Celica GT (what she had before the Camry) had an automatic. Its transmission failed at 125k miles and at 190k miles. I had no intention replacing the transmission again. In fact, I've never seen a high-mileage Toyota that didn't need a transmission replacement/rebuild. I think their automatics just suck.

The internet babble seems to point to the transmission (6-speed automatic). Basically, it blows. My wife's got an '04 Camry SE V6 with the 5-spd automatic. It sucks as well. Multiple reviews have pointed to the same common problem of both the current and previous generation of Camrys:

Say you're slowing down (maybe 5mph or so). Then, traffic speeds up. Unless you barely press the gas pedal, the car downshifts to 1st gear for no apparent reason and jerks the whole car.

I was about to report this problem to the dealer until I read reviews from auto mags that report the same problem in '07/'08s.

My wife's 1990 Celica GT (what she had before the Camry) had an automatic. Its transmission failed at 125k miles and at 190k miles. I had no intention replacing the transmission again. In fact, I've never seen a high-mileage Toyota that didn't need a transmission replacement/rebuild. I think their automatics just suck.

Sounds like a typical Toyota auto trans. We've had three with a 4 spd and one with a 5 speed. All react the same. And they don't shift in cold weather. However we dont have to worry about that anymore seeing as how mom's has a CVT and its nice.

I learned to drive stick on my sister's Corolla. Very difficult clutch.

Sounds like a typical Toyota auto trans. We've had three with a 4 spd and one with a 5 speed. All react the same. And they don't shift in cold weather. However we dont have to worry about that anymore seeing as how mom's has a CVT and its nice.

I learned to drive stick on my sister's Corolla. Very difficult clutch.

Not counting Cadillac, the smoothest auto I've ever driven was the 4-speed auto in the first-gen Lexus ES300. That tranny didn't have any of the problems the newer Toyota 5/6-speed trannies do.

u must have gotten a bad rebuild, my camry,which is currently being driven by my aunt who bought it from me, currently has 355,000 mile on original motor and trans, its a 4cyl too, had same trans as that celica, same motor to just the 2nd revision

ABOUT SHIFTING IN COLD WEATHER

they are set up like that so that the engine/trans warms up quicker, theres a way to disable it though

The more cars you pump out while trying to cut costs the less reliable they are. Ask the big 3. Ford has turned it around almost though...

I had a Camry Hybrid for a rental car this week, I couldn't wait to return it. The seats are like a church pew, the suspension is so floaty and rolly I thought I was going to get car sick on 101 and the electric to gas stumble is just annoying...the most annoying is figuring out how to start the damn thing.

Give me a key to turn! No push button please particuarly on a car you can't hear the engine!

That article is bias. If anyone has any engineering/manufacturing experience then you'll realize that to expand as fast Toyota has and remain in the top 5 among automakers in reliability (ahead of GM, Ford, Nissan, BMW, Dodge, Mitisubishi, and Mazda to name a few) is an incredible feat. I don't plan to buy a Toyota anytime soon, but I think that has gotten lost with all the Toyota bashing.

Archived