LegacyGT.com

2 ques: Throttle tip-in, heated seats: unplugged?

1. I recall reading about this a while back, but a search for the post returned nothing. (Can Boolean expressions be used for searches?)

Apparently there's a knob under the hood when the amount/speed of throttle tip-in can be adjusted. I want to crank mine DOWN, so it doesn't feel like I brake-torqued the car coming away from a light.

2. The heated seat switch lights go on, but there's no heat coming out of either seat. I'm wondering if the previous owner of this '03 Legacy Outback Limited (w/auto & 2.5) unplugged them somewhere...

Ah yes indeed. I'd suspect it was a fuse, but since the LEDs go on properly, it indicates to me that it's not (although I'll check this afternoon and will be VERY happy if that's all it is.)

Regarding the annoying tip-in: This post I read referred to a place under the hood where this could be adjusted.

If anyone recalls this phantom setting let me know. I suspect the Haynes manual won't have this.

Our '02 NA Outback has had the same throttle tip-in issue you complain of. My wife doesn't notice it anymore, but I do when I first start driving it after being used to my car. I think the throttle has a throttle cable and I have no idea how some knob would adjust this characteristic. I think it is designed this way to make the car seem more powerful than it really is when moving away from a dead stop.

I imagine it is possible for all four heating elements of both seats to be burned out if the previous owner used them all the time. They should just unplug from the car's wiring harness under each seat (at least my '05 does - had to have one element replaced on the driver's seat). Wait a little longer and the lights won't work either (none do in our '02, but the heaters still do).

It is still ugly.

Archived