LegacyGT.com

Installing a second resonator to aftermaket exhaust?

Zed 2.0

I got my XO2 exhaust on (major props to fweasel) last week. I'm waiting a couple hundred miles to see if the sound changes, but right now the exhaust drones a bit < 3k RPMs. The mid-pipe already has one 12" x 3" resonator, but I'm thinking about having a shop install a second resonator to cut the drone.

Has anybody done this on any aftermarket exhaust? I'm wondering if another 12" resonator would be the best option, since it seems like it may just cancel out the same length of sound waves as the 12" I already have, so I might still get the drone.

^ fweasel got them to fit a lot better. they're nearly symmetrical now, but both are too far inside. one also sticks out 1/2" further than the other. (:rolleyes: ebay exhausts) I love the look of the bigger tips, and like the burble/growl, but there is too much resonance right now. I set off a couple car alarms driving through my parking garage this morning.

I may just buy the Megan single tip when it comes out, not too impressed with the XO2 so far.

Mufflers and catalytic converters decrease sound, resonators will either change it's pitch or very slightly decrease it. If you want it quieter then cut the XO2 resonator out (straight through) and put a muffler in it's place.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I'm in a similar position. I've got a catless system with the XO2 racing intermediate and Y-pipes. I have some other aftermarket mufflers on my car to cut the sound back a little and it still drones on the highway too much for my liking. I'm leaning towards adding a high flow cat in an effort to minimize the noise. I've got my old Crucial DP / MP combo on hand that I'm likely going to put back on the car to see what improvement it makes over my Indivia. If it's significant, I'll either add a cat to my Invidia or purchase a full 3" catted DP.

Dave

________

SweetD1ana

I'm taking my car to a shop tomorrow to have them look at how I can quiet down the MR Quad Tip Exhaust w/Cobb DP (w/hi-flow cat). The plan is to cut out a section of the mid-pipe and replace it with a resonator. I'm guestimating that it won't come cheap, though. Probably around $300. We'll see what they say.

In addition to that, I'm planning on doing some sound deadening in the trunk to cut down the amplifying effect the trunk adds.

Sound is, of course, in the ear of the beholder and what is too loud for one is music to the ears of another.

Report back on this goes, as I might end up taking the same route. I'm trying the high flow cat in the down pipe first, this might be my second choice.

Dave

I'm taking my car to a shop tomorrow to have them look at how I can quiet down the MR Quad Tip Exhaust w/Cobb DP (w/hi-flow cat). The plan is to cut out a section of the mid-pipe and replace it with a resonator. I'm guestimating that it won't come cheap, though. Probably around $300. We'll see what they say.

In addition to that, I'm planning on doing some sound deadening in the trunk to cut down the amplifying effect the trunk adds.

Sound is, of course, in the ear of the beholder and what is too loud for one is music to the ears of another.

________

Catastrophe bond dicussion

The tuner compared the ambient noise of my setup (MR CBE w/Cobb DP & Cat) with his Autospeed setup and said it sounded about the same. The MR CBE has a resonator in the mid-pipe (a small one, but one nonetheless). He said they sounded the same. I let him drive the car and he said it was much louder than his autospeed set-up from inside the cabin.

For around $300, he can weld in a small resonator, but we agreed to try wrapping the DP & mid-pipe with exhaust wrap first. That's a $60 part solution versus a $300 weld job. I'll try and get that done either this coming week or the next and report back.

We decided against the resonator attempt - for now - because the way the MR CBE is set up, there's not much room for a very big resonator back there. So, from a bang for the buck perspective, the exhaust wrap may yield better results.

Only way to find out is to try it and see. Plus, as the tuner pointed out, there's no real downside to wrapping the exhaust. It will only help reduce the engine compartment temp and to increase the exhaust temp (a good thing for helping speed the exhaust gases through the system).

If anyone else has already tried this method and can share feedback on whether this works, I'd be interested in your perceived results.

• 2 weeks later...

So, decided against the additional resonator as the cost was too high for the anticipated sound reduction. The MR exhaust already has a resonator in it and the tuner could only put a small one in the very back section.

I went with the exhaust wrap and some noise deadening and it made a big difference. I used some ultimate and v-comp from b-quiet.com. Put down a bunch in the spare tire well and under the rear carpet in the trunk. As you face the car, in the space to the left of the spare (can't say whether it is the same on the right b/c I have a sub enclosure there), there is a really bag reverberating spot where it is just a thin piece of metal that seems to transmit a lot of noise. It is right above the muffler. I threw down some extra material there and that seemed to help. Also did the trunk lid. I'm pretty happy now with the noise.

Car sounds great both in and out now.

....... I used some ultimate and v-comp from b-quiet.com. Put down a bunch in the spare tire well and under the rear carpet in the trunk. As you face the car, in the space to the left of the spare (can't say whether it is the same on the right b/c I have a sub enclosure there), there is a really bad reverberating spot where it is just a thin piece of metal that seems to transmit a lot of noise. It is right above the muffler. I threw down some extra material there and that seemed to help. Also did the trunk lid. I'm pretty happy now with the noise.

Pics?

How much ultimate and how much v-comp did you use?

Where did you put use the ultimate and where did you use the v-comp?

:spin:

I love my Xo2 mid and y pipe with stock cans. I get a lot of comments on the sound. If you like the tips take the stock ones off and put on bigger ones.

But the car is never to loud and never drones. Very happy with the setup. I will try to post a clip soon. When I am done moving.

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

How much of your exhaust did you wrap? Just the Downpipe, or did you go a little further. I'd love to see some pics as well as I might go this route as well.

Dave

So, decided against the additional resonator as the cost was too high for the anticipated sound reduction. The MR exhaust already has a resonator in it and the tuner could only put a small one in the very back section.

I went with the exhaust wrap and some noise deadening and it made a big difference. I used some ultimate and v-comp from b-quiet.com. Put down a bunch in the spare tire well and under the rear carpet in the trunk. As you face the car, in the space to the left of the spare (can't say whether it is the same on the right b/c I have a sub enclosure there), there is a really bag reverberating spot where it is just a thin piece of metal that seems to transmit a lot of noise. It is right above the muffler. I threw down some extra material there and that seemed to help. Also did the trunk lid. I'm pretty happy now with the noise.

________

FORCED AIR PORTABLE VAPORIZER

I'll see if I canj take some pics later this week. I had back surgery recently, so crawling under the car for pics is a bit uncomfortable. But, we'll see.

They used one roll on the downpipe, leaving the flange exposed, and another roll on the mid-pipe past the long center section about to the mid-point of the back seat.

I know - someone will say this thread is useless without pics.

I love my Xo2 mid and y pipe with stock cans. I get a lot of comments on the sound. If you like the tips take the stock ones off and put on bigger ones.

But the car is never to loud and never drones. Very happy with the setup. I will try to post a clip soon. When I am done moving.

I'm very interested to hear this.

In the same boat with xo dp & cbe as it drones . I plan to put my stock gutted dp w/ midpipe (not gutted) to see if it quiets down some or reluctantly put stock cans back on.

Jim

+1

Last weekend I put the stock mufflers back on for the winter while I was taking off my summer wheels/tires. I like this option since I will have the windows up most of the time for the next few months and drone was bugging me.

Currently I have and Invidia up/down, X02 midpipe with resonator w/stock cans. The car is not quite as quiet as stock, but overall it is quiet with more noise coming from the turbo than an actual exhaust note. What exhaust note there is sounds cheap and tinny.......Sounds like crap to me, but at least it doesn't drone.

My car also has headers and so I can Imagine it might affect the sound as opposed to stock manifolds.

Its not as low as the other achausts I have had, but it is very comfortable on any drive. Took the car to NY (4 hour drive) and it was great at any speed. The only time I heard it was at a full throttle balst and opening the window at the tolls.

Once again, I really reccomend this setup.

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

I actually just ordered some Vcomp as well... Any pics of trunk would be great. I noticed a lot of holes plugged with rubber in the trunk area, so I am pretty sure a lot of noises passes through. I am going to take a look at the area to the left as you mentioned. Thanks

Alrightythen. I finally took some photos. I didn't take everything apart as I'm partially lazy and I'm also gimped out with a bad back that's acting up on me.

I removed the foam case above the spare and you can see the sound proofing around the spare. Essentially, I lined the spare tire well with the B-quiet ultimate product and then dropped in a square of the v-comp and then put the spare tire back in.

To the left of the spare tire well, I did the same basic set up. This area is particularly thin and it looks like Subaru realized this was an area where there was some noise as the car came with some foam over this panel. I put down two or three layers of the ultimate b-quiet mat and then laid a layer of the v-comp on top of it.

I also pulled off the trim panel on the trunk lid and put a bunch of sound proofing in there. The v-comp does not come with any adhesive built into it, so for the stuff that goes on the floor, you can just lay it in place, but for the trunk lid, you'll need to get some spray adhesive and glue it on.

In order to make the fit nice with the trim, I just glued the v-comp into the recessed spots on the trunk lid.

I've dropped some v-comp directly on top of the rear deck. So, now things are pretty darn good. I have to go back and fix up the rear deck so it looks good - as the vcomp is just laying there... Attached are some crummy pictures - I hope that helps depict what I did.

I like the exhaust, it looks great, there's no freeway droning, it is definitely louder than stock when accelerating - but if you're driving the in-laws, and you're trying to keep the sound down, just keep off the gas and it's terrific.

IMG_1943.thumb.jpg.ad6df6ae316739988caf2ab254e2e4d5.jpg

IMG_1944.thumb.jpg.7ccfa1dcd4864983f7ae692efc1e8caa.jpg

IMG_1945.thumb.jpg.95aebf30597bcbe400811a5241206822.jpg

IMG_1946.thumb.jpg.10f097c49d5175bdb7889c607500c0da.jpg

IMG_1948.thumb.jpg.91bbb811582202e66e463e4c564be624.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I installed an Invidia catted downpipe that I had wrapped on the weekend and replaced my unwapped catless DP. It has made a noticable improvement, but still not quiet enough for my liking. This weekend I will be wrapping my midpipe as well, as will be installing the B-Quiet material as soon as it arrives.

Dave

________

brunette girl Webcam

Well I've replaced my catless Invidia downpipe with a wrapped and catted Invidia downpipe. In addition, I wrapped my entire mid-pipe as well as the front half of my X02 Y-pipe (up to the Y split). And on top of that, I placed a roll of B-Quiet Ultimate under the spare wheel well in the trunk. It has tamed the sound a little, but my car is still too loud for my liking, and still drones far too much on the highway.

I guess my next step is to put my stock mufflers back on and try and get rid of the odd rattling I had before they were replaced. Hopefully I will get a nice and quiet exhaust note without much of an impact to HP.

Dave

________

N02 vaporizer

Well I've replaced my catless Invidia downpipe with a wrapped and catted Invidia downpipe. In addition, I wrapped my entire mid-pipe as well as the front half of my X02 Y-pipe (up to the Y split). And on top of that, I placed a roll of B-Quiet Ultimate under the spare wheel well in the trunk. It has tamed the sound a little, but my car is still too loud for my liking, and still drones far too much on the highway.

I guess my next step is to put my stock mufflers back on and try and get rid of the odd rattling I had before they were replaced. Hopefully I will get a nice and quiet exhaust note without much of an impact to HP.

Dave

You'll notice a HUGE difference when you put the stock mufflers back on.

I have an Invidia up and catless downpipe (ceramic coated) along with the X02 midpipe and Y. I have swapped back and forth between the X02 mufflers and the the stock mufflers several times. Once for a 4000 mile roadtrip I had this summer, and several weeks ago I swapped back to the stock mufflers to use for the winter.

I was amazed at how quite the stock mufflers keep the car with the rest of the exhaust upgraded. The drone is now completely gone, but so is about all of the boxer rumble too. There is a bit of hesitation that comes back with the restrictive stock cans, which is the only drawback for me.

Archived