LegacyGT.com

Subaru Air Filter rip off

sourdough

Went to the local Subie dealer yesterday to pick up a new air filter for my 07 LGT, just about dropped dead in my tracks when the parts guy quoted me $57 Canadian for it. What the heck is Subaru trying to do with pricing like that. Said no thanks and went tdown the street to a performance shop and ordered a K & N filter for $62. At least I can reuse it for a few years. Other than that no complaints about the car at all. For those of you looking for a great drive in your LGT try the Alaska Highway, it is one fun drive with little LE patrolling.

Welcome. Is the K&N filter an oiled model? Just be careful with gunking up your MAF sensor.

Also why is your car in need of a new filter so soon? I am not sure but that may be a warranty item if it is in bad shape so soon. I know wipers aer a warranty item.

X

---

Need the new filter because the car has been subject to a lot of dust from a nearby dry lake bed which the wind over the past couple of months has literally coated the car with virtually every day. I could wash the car on a daily basis during that time and just figured I would replace the filter now that the lake finally has water in it again and the dust has died off.

Welcome. Is the K&N filter an oiled model? Just be careful with gunking up your MAF sensor.

X

Is there any way to clean the MAF sensor to prevent that? I just cleaned and reoiled my K&N after 20k. I've driven 300+ miles and not noticed any changes but would certainly rather be safe than sorry.

There were some discussions about it here, and it has happened to other people on other forums.

The MAF sensor is really delicate, so you can probably ruin it pretty easily, with that said some people use aerosol electronic circuit cleaner like found at Radio Shack.

You can inspect it and see if it is gunked up, but you will feel it before anything else.

GL

X

---

CRC makes a Labeled MAF sensor cleaner. I got a can at Advance for not much cash. I run a K&N, and my proceedure is this: I clean and oil the filter. Re-install, then run about 100 miles. Take the back end off the air box and spray the MAF off with the CRC Cleaner. Re-install and forget about it for 20K.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived