LegacyGT.com

Put my gauges in the ashtray

CwhillVT

With the size of the gauges and the way that the ashtray door is integrated into the assembly I think it would be hard to do. I thought about trying but you would need to do some major hacking and modifying. also, the door only opens at maybe 45degrees which would make viewing the gauges difficult. but if you attempt it I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

Yea, thats exactly what I was thinking - I took the console off to install my STS and took a gander then and it looked like it would be tough. I'm gonna order my gauges soon and then see if it'll work out...I'm hoping i'll be able to mess with the hinge on the door to get it to open wider...we'll see! I'll definitely post pics of whatever I come up with - even if its a copy of yours!:spin:

^ yep, http://prosportgauges.com/amber_white_performance_gauges.aspx

Btw, about "stealthiness" when these are not illuminated the display is black. So when the car is off all you see is a black rectangle(assuming you tint the lexan piece as I did) in the shape of the ashtray opening. So i guess that isnt completely stealth but you can tell that there are gauges in there.

also, these gauges are great because they do the same gauges sweep as our dash gauges. Adds a nice touch.

• 3 months later...

Beautiful install.

I'd like to do the same setup in my '03 Legacy OB, with VDO oil press & temp. in the cubby beneath the stereo.

Anyone doing this in an '03, give shout!

CJ

I decided that the steering column was not a very aesthetically pleasing mounting location(to me) for my gauges (boost and oil pressure). Additionally I felt that the A-pillar gauge pod was, for lack of a better word, Ricetastic. Also, my cubby was out because it houses my sirius tuner. So here is my install:

I removed my ashtray and cig lighter. Made my own mounting brackets from some metal i had laying around. I then cut a piece of lexan to fit between the opening and the gauges. I found that the gauges were too bright so I used tinting film on the lexan. I wired them such that in the dayime they light up white(close match to the dash gauges) then when the headlights are turned on they switch red(matches the red button illumination). I accomplished this switching action using a single pole double throw relay(SPDT).

I'll try to post some daytime pics tomorrow so you can see "daytime mode" when it is actually daylight outside. With the tinted lexan it also looks stealth when the car is off- looks like the info center or the radio display when those are off.

I was unable to find pics of other people using this location for gauges- I'm sure that im not the first- I'd love to see how other did it.

See pics below.

I decided that the steering column was not a very aesthetically pleasing mounting location(to me) for my gauges (boost and oil pressure). Additionally I felt that the A-pillar gauge pod was, for lack of a better word, Ricetastic. Also, my cubby was out because it houses my sirius tuner. So here is my install:

I removed my ashtray and cig lighter. Made my own mounting brackets from some metal i had laying around. I then cut a piece of lexan to fit between the opening and the gauges. I found that the gauges were too bright so I used tinting film on the lexan. I wired them such that in the dayime they light up white(close match to the dash gauges) then when the headlights are turned on they switch red(matches the red button illumination). I accomplished this switching action using a single pole double throw relay(SPDT).

I'll try to post some daytime pics tomorrow so you can see "daytime mode" when it is actually daylight outside. With the tinted lexan it also looks stealth when the car is off- looks like the info center or the radio display when those are off.

I was unable to find pics of other people using this location for gauges- I'm sure that im not the first- I'd love to see how other did it.

See pics below.

thats awesome

• 4 years later...

I am doing this mod now, just an oil pressure gauge in place of the ashtray. Keeping the cig lighter and door functional. I just need to make my electrical connections- looking for advice.

I am hoping to get them from the back of the ashtray.

Connections to be made:

Positive- from the red/silver that powers the cig lighter. Switched by key in Acc or On position.

Negative- from the black wire on the cig lighter

Now the one I really question- can I use the green/silver wire from the old ashtray bulb for my gauge light? It has two wires ( to/from the bulb) I only need one for the gauge because I think it grounds through the gauge negative.

Thoughts? I don't want to screw up the electrical.

Archived