LegacyGT.com

08 GT Hood on 08 SE

GrayT

Just my personal viewpoint, but wouldn't the drag increase be so minimal you wouldn't be able to notice?

:spin:

You will not notice it in terms of butt dyno, you probably won't even notice it in MPG. But for argument's sake that's take a look at the math. The LGT hood scoop is about 20" wide and 2" tall. That's 20*2/144 = 0.28 ft^2 additional frontal area. Drag is 0.5 * air_density * velocity^2 * drag_coefficient * reference frontal area. Drag_coefficient for the Legacy sedan is 0.31.

So at 60 MPH the addition of 0.28 ft^2 frontal area will increase drag by:

0.5 * (0.0765 lb/ft^3) * (60*5280/3600 ft/s)^2 * 0.31 * 0.28 = ~25.7 lbs

At 80 MPH:

0.5 * (0.0765 lb/ft^3) * (80*5280/3600 ft/s)^2 * 0.31 * 0.28 = ~45.7 lbs

The hood scoop is really not a 20" x 2" flat surface in the air stream. But for argument's sake let's just assume the opening is been closed off with a flat surface like the fake scoops on other cars. So I guess the question is would you carry around 20 - 40 lbs of dead weight in your car that has no purpose?

Your argument on the drag with mathematical examples was very convincing, but your last question ruined your analysis.

Personally, I'd carry 20-40lbs more weight if it cooled down my engine and sucked in birds! Who wouldn't? :lol:

Even then, the new hood scoops on the LGT's don't really even "stick up" like the Impreza's do. It's much more flat with the hood, while the actual opening for the scoop is recessed instead of absessed.

Hmm...

It isn't going to have any real cooling effect on your engine. I'm assuming you know that it is there to vent air to the intercooler on the GT, which your car doesn't have.

Your radiator provides all the cooling your engine will need unless you plan to run the Paris-Dakar next year.

It isn't going to have any real cooling effect on your engine. I'm assuming you know that it is there to vent air to the intercooler on the GT, which your car doesn't have.

Your radiator provides all the cooling your engine will need unless you plan to run the Paris-Dakar next year.

Sheesh. :spin: That was part of my joke. :rolleyes:

I'm well aware that if Subaru thought it needed cooling, they would have put it there in the first place.

Right. Sometimes people do mods just because........... they like them. ;)

Let's not forget that we RS guys (not to mention OBS) had non-functional hood scoops. Still have mine, had it open for, oh, about six years with no issues other than a little extra dirt.

I don't know if the scoopless hoods are still steel for the Legacy, but that's a good reason to swap - weight loss. Aluminum GC WRX hoods save about 30 lbs. from the stock RS hood, so my guess is that the Legacy ones would save a decent amount too.

I don't know if the scoopless hoods are still steel for the Legacy, but that's a good reason to swap - weight loss. Aluminum GC WRX hoods save about 30 lbs. from the stock RS hood, so my guess is that the Legacy ones would save a decent amount too.

All '05-'06 hoods are Aluminum, 2.5i included. According to this article, http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/26/no-more-aluminum-for-subaru-exteriors, all '07+ model made after March of '07 will be steel. If this is the case putting '08 GT Hood on '08 SE will not save any weight. Don't know if the hoods are interchangeable between '05-'06 and '08, the latter has different grill and headlight.

Cars101.com shows that aluminum hood is still standard on all '08 so don't know who is right. Either way looks like all '08 hood are made from the same material.

Archived