LegacyGT.com

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD review

I was debating whether to get the S40 T5 AWD or the Legacy 2.5GT for a few months and I finally went with the Volvo. At the request of a poster who wanted me to write up a review for the S40, here it is. I've had it for about a week and it's got 320 miles on it. On the first tank of gas, I was getting around 19.5mpg according to the trip computer. On the second tank of gas, I'm getting 24mpg according to the trip computer. I'll take another measurement when I pull in for gas next time based on miles driven/gallons bought equation. Overall, I think it's a fantastic car. Speed-wise, it's got some power, but don't expect a smile on your face every time you hit the gas pedal like a 2.5GT. I think it's a well-rounded car, it doesn't really excel in any one category but at the same time it doesn't do anything poorly. It's really a nice car to drive in and a nice car to spend time in. I love driving it. It's interesting how people react when I say I drive a Volvo, as my friend used to say, "Volvo's are for practical people." Not exactly sexy when compared to a luxury WRC heritaged Subaru. But a lot of people who have seen/been given a ride in the S40 are surprised at how un-soccer-mom like it is and how nice and even- dare I say- how cool it is. The good -xenon lights- when I drove this for the first time, I picked it up when it was dark, I thought the high beams were on. But so far I have not been flashed once at night. As for the high beams, it will burn the retinas of oncoming motorists. -the 305W, 12 speaker, Dolby Surround Pro Logic II audio system sounds fantastic. I didn't want the option initially, but now that I have it, I love it. -real aluminum inlay for the console and bits of the door trim and the other materials make the interior feel special -brakes- from a BMW 5 to this, there is no difference. -passion red, everybody comments on the color, then the car. It's a Ferrari red (or at least I like to think it is), a proper red for a sportscar. A couple days ago I parked near a red Legacy wagon. No comparison. The Subaru red isn't exactly burgandy, but it's not a bright red either. -on the highway it feels like a car far more expensive than it is, very refined -the steering has a sporty feel to it around town, it feels nimble -acceleration is peppy, it's no 2.5GT, but better than my V6 accord, so it's a step up for me. But I still haven't really pushed the car yet. -fun to drive, I love this car, still at that stage where you check to see if you need to make any trips out to the grocery store at night so you end up driving the car for a 1/2 gallon of milk. -the center console is very cool. -the windows will defog instantly when you hit the defogger button. -the wheels look like a "shadow chrome" Which look very cool. -it's about 10in shorter than the Legacy and my old car. Which makes parking a snap. The bad -it's about 10in shorter than the Legacy and my old car. Which means rear seat space is compromised. But then again, I usually drive by myself or have a co-driver with me. -at idle, I can feel/hear the engine, it doesn't feel as refined as it does on the highway. -the auto shifter plastic feels cheap -when the climate system defogs, it roars like crazy. Don't know if there is a way to take the Category 5 intensity down to a mortal level. -the key is friggin huge and it looks like it's too close to the windshield wiper stalk. -on the highway the steering is a bit light, not blow you away with crosswinds light, but I was expecting the steering to have a more weighted feel. -firm, firm, firm- the ride is firm, I'm fine with it, but I know some people don't like it. Then again, I had H&R springs/Bilstein shocks on my Accord and people complained about that setup. The seats are firm too. It took awhile for me to get used to it. -the center console glovebox is small. -radio tuner froze today, turning the radio off and then back on solved the problem. -it doesn't honk when I lock/activate the alarm system, so I'm always looking to see if it locked. Maybe there is a way to change that setting, I don't know.

[quote name='il collaudatore']I was debating whether to get the S40 T5 AWD or the Legacy 2.5GT for a few months and I finally went with the Volvo. At the request of a poster who wanted me to write up a review for the S40, here it is. I've had it for about a week and it's got 320 miles on it. On the first tank of gas, I was getting around 19.5mpg according to the trip computer. On the second tank of gas, I'm getting 24mpg according to the trip computer. I'll take another measurement when I pull in for gas next time based on miles driven/gallons bought equation. Overall, I think it's a fantastic car. Speed-wise, it's got some power, but don't expect a smile on your face every time you hit the gas pedal like a 2.5GT. I think it's a well-rounded car, it doesn't really excel in any one category but at the same time it doesn't do anything poorly. It's really a nice car to drive in and a nice car to spend time in. I love driving it. It's interesting how people react when I say I drive a Volvo, as my friend used to say, "Volvo's are for practical people." Not exactly sexy when compared to a luxury WRC heritaged Subaru. But a lot of people who have seen/been given a ride in the S40 are surprised at how un-soccer-mom like it is and how nice and even- dare I say- how cool it is. The good -xenon lights- when I drove this for the first time, I picked it up when it was dark, I thought the high beams were on. But so far I have not been flashed once at night. As for the high beams, it will burn the retinas of oncoming motorists. -the 305W, 12 speaker, Dolby Surround Pro Logic II audio system sounds fantastic. I didn't want the option initially, but now that I have it, I love it. -real aluminum inlay for the console and bits of the door trim and the other materials make the interior feel special -brakes- from a BMW 5 to this, there is no difference. -passion red, everybody comments on the color, then the car. It's a Ferrari red (or at least I like to think it is), a proper red for a sportscar. A couple days ago I parked near a red Legacy wagon. No comparison. The Subaru red isn't exactly burgandy, but it's not a bright red either. -on the highway it feels like a car far more expensive than it is, very refined -the steering has a sporty feel to it around town, it feels nimble -acceleration is peppy, it's no 2.5GT, but better than my V6 accord, so it's a step up for me. But I still haven't really pushed the car yet. -fun to drive, I love this car, still at that stage where you check to see if you need to make any trips out to the grocery store at night so you end up driving the car for a 1/2 gallon of milk. -the center console is very cool. -the windows will defog instantly when you hit the defogger button. -the wheels look like a "shadow chrome" Which look very cool. -it's about 10in shorter than the Legacy and my old car. Which makes parking a snap. The bad -it's about 10in shorter than the Legacy and my old car. Which means rear seat space is compromised. But then again, I usually drive by myself or have a co-driver with me. -at idle, I can feel/hear the engine, it doesn't feel as refined as it does on the highway. -the auto shifter plastic feels cheap -when the climate system defogs, it roars like crazy. Don't know if there is a way to take the Category 5 intensity down to a mortal level. -the key is friggin huge and it looks like it's too close to the windshield wiper stalk. -on the highway the steering is a bit light, not blow you away with crosswinds light, but I was expecting the steering to have a more weighted feel. -firm, firm, firm- the ride is firm, I'm fine with it, but I know some people don't like it. Then again, I had H&R springs/Bilstein shocks on my Accord and people complained about that setup. The seats are firm too. It took awhile for me to get used to it. -the center console glovebox is small. -radio tuner froze today, turning the radio off and then back on solved the problem. -it doesn't honk when I lock/activate the alarm system, so I'm always looking to see if it locked. Maybe there is a way to change that setting, I don't know.[/QUOTE] its good to hear that you're happy with your decision. my dad was trying to talk me into getting an S40 2.5t AWD when i was pinning it up against the legacy. the dealership had an 04 fully loaded automatic for 28,060, with a sticker price of 35, 600 - priced to move. for me, the volvo just didnt fit. while i did like the amenities, the lack of a semi auto or a stick kind of turned me off from it. also, from the reviews i read at the time, it suffered noticable turbo lag - but then again, it was an auto. the S40 you bought, was it an '05? if so, those look pretty damn slick

I saw an 05 s40 at our local mall and there was surprisingly alot of people gathered around it. . I then walked further down the mall and there was a yellow Mitsu Evo, with no one around!!! :lol: I too think that the red is very sexy Nick

I'm glad they've made a huge improvement with this car over the previous generation small Volvo, my wife had one for 3 years, it had a number of problems (warranty) and drove like a dog. I'll have to reluctantly visit my local Volvo stealership (double the maintenance cost of the WRX) and try the latest incarnation out. Congrats on your new car ill collaudatore, sorry if I sound a little negative but I had a bad run with a '00 model V40. I sincerely wish you all the best. Dave.

Congrats on the purchase, I personaly can't see my self in a Volvo but your car your choice. I have to admit Volvo has been doing better in the styling department so their cars are looking less soccer mom like and I think it's for the better. You sound like your happy with your purchase so enjoy the new car and keep us posted on how drives it after the break in.

we test drove the S40 as well. we quite like the car. it's engine cannot be compared to an LGT. However that's not my quip. My issue is how small the trunk opening is. I believe it's due to the indented rear lights. The interior space is quite small for a car int his class. Also the gauges didn't tickle my fancy. Abit mundane. It is a better drive than the previous S40 for sure though! It is a nice car by itself. However there's nothing that is truly outstanding to separate itself from it's competitors - TSX, G35, LGT, IS300, 325i, A4.... I guess it's uniquness is one. Anyways congrats on your choice!

I was pretty much sold on a V50-T5 AWD myself until I heard all the maintenace horror stories with recent Volvos. The S40/V50 in particular have seen a horrendous number of problems big and small in Europe where it came out well before it did here. There was one guy who was up to his third engine after only 2 months. There were a few guys that almost got killed when they were merging onto a highway and the car suddenly decided to go into "limp home" mode. There were guys with mismatched interior panels (like a leather door on a non-leather car). etc, etc. It is clear to me that quality control is no longer a priority since Ford took over. So I decided to pass. A real shame as this is a wonderful car. I owned a 93 850 GLT for 8 years and never did anything to it other then oil changes and brake pads. It was very enarly flawless. Those days are long gone. Sly

Guest JessterCPA
I had a so-so experience with a 2000 S40. Lots of minor problems such as: -8 headlight bulbs burnt out in 3 years -3 center caps on the wheels fell out -lots of wind noise from the sunroof - when it was closed -rear brakes went in 10000 miles -no noticeable difference in "sport" mode -climate control never seemed to work right Replaced it with my wife's TSX. Excellent move.

Congratulations! Nice car! I was also considering the V50 T5 AWD. I'm sure you made a sound decision for your needs, I'm a Volvo fan myself. If I ever need a second car, it'll be on my list again for sure.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Here's the list from my wife's 2000 V40: - 4 headlight bulbs in 3 years. - only lost 1 center cap - rear brakes every 15k miles, front's at 30k. - cruise control grenaded after a couple of months, was on a road trip, heard a snapping sound and pieces of what was the cruise control fell into drivers footwell. - Constant CEL's, finally fixed by a reflash at the dealership after 2+ years of the CEL going on and off every couple of days. - rust on all visable bolts in the cabin (seats etc). - 28mpg average until the car hit around 40k miles then 22-23mpg for no apparent reason, deceided to sell while still under warranty. - lead ballon depreciation, paid $30k got $13.5k after 48k miles and 3 years of ownership. The WRX after 2 years and 30k miles: - rattle from right rear seatbelt bolt area. - paid $22k and it's still worth ~$17k

Guest JessterCPA
Ahhh.. Gumby I feel better now. I wasnt the only one with those pesky problems. I almost forgot how many CEL's I got. And I would call the dealer "..yes..I already checked the gas cap thank you.." We had it on lease. They gave us excellent residual value on the car, so the lease price was good, and if you took that hit on the price of the car, I imagine my dealer wasnt happy with my lease deal after all.

I was also going for S40, but that car just cannot stands out the crowd. Safety is always the major concern, for my family, and that is the reason why we didn't get the 05 GT (it, sadly, doesn't do well in the IIHS crash test, and all my family members worry about it). We are also disappointed with S40's crash test: [url]http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0416.htm[/url] I mean, volvo is famous of its excellent safety features... And, the price is very expensive for what you pay. So, finally, we got a 05 G35 with premium and sports pacakge for 32.7K, and we got a lot more than the S40. (my heart is still at GT tho)

crapy, It's a BEST PICK and scores good in all categories: [url="http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0415.htm"]http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0415.htm[/url] The G35 scores well to, but is not up to the standard of the Legacy: [url="http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0307.htm"]http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0307.htm[/url] The Infiniti hasn't even been tested for side impact v's an SUV/Pick-up.

actually, i mean this test, which my family members are always referring to: [url]http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0411.htm[/url] I still wish we could get the GT instead... The thing is, my family members always believe that C-class = G35 (duh), and the c-class performs pretty well at the side impact crash test, which really affected their decision. Furthermore, all of my family members HATE subaru. I just wish i can pay the car all by myself, instead only 1/3 of it! Maybe God is telling me to get the GT STi instead in the future :D Anyway, back to the topic, why didn't you get the G35 AWD? I mean, you have a lot more spaces, gadgets (intelligent key, MP3 CD player, Xeon, HIDs, adjustable rear steats etc), decent performance (AWD, 280hp 3.5V6 etc), reliability, and strong resale value?

[quote name='crapy'] Anyway, back to the topic, why didn't you get the G35 AWD? I mean, you have a lot more spaces, gadgets (intelligent key, MP3 CD player, Xeon, HIDs, adjustable rear steats etc), decent performance (AWD, 280hp 3.5V6 etc), reliability, and strong resale value?[/QUOTE] simple: because he wanted the volvo ;)

[quote name='crapy']actually, i mean this test, which my family members are always referring to: [url="http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0411.htm"]http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0411.htm[/url][/QUOTE] But my point is the G35 has not been throught the SUV/Pick-up side impact test, it could very well score worse since it's a brutal test.....

Safety-wise the Volvo is as safe as the Legacy EXCEPT 1) the Subaru torso rating is poor vs. Volvo's marginal 2) the Subaru leg rating is marginal vs. Volvo's good 3) the rear impact for the Subaru is acceptable vs. Volvo's good. Safety played a role in the decision, the Volvo is safer, not by much, but it's safer. The poor rating was the start of the end of my decision to buy the Legacy. The G35x is a fantastic car, great options, and reliable. But I don't like the looks. No, I hate the look. It's ugly. Now if it were a G35x coupe... that's a different story. And I wanted something different- been driving Japanese cars all my life. I like the TSX, great car, fantastic car, bulletproof reliability. BUT... I had a top of the line Honda Accord. So the dealer calls me "sir" and I get complimentary coffee and cookies and the car is a bit more refined. It's still a Honda to me. And yeah, I could have gotten a BMW, but eh... already driven one, big deal. I see a 3-series all the time on the road, my parents have a 5, go Germany, go autobahn cruiser- yeah, yeah I did that already. How many G35s do you see daily? Now how many S40s or Legacies do you see daily? I wanted something unique and rare. Reliability is a concern, and I wonder how it will hold up too. But I decided to take a chance. Worst case scenario (knock on wood), I figure it will be good training for when I get my 1999 Rosso Corsa Ferrari F355 Berlinetta :)

[quote name='crapy']And, the price is very expensive for what you pay. So, finally, we got a 05 G35 with premium and sports pacakge for 32.7K, and we got a lot more than the S40.[/QUOTE] Before trade-in, my dealer quoted the S40 T5 AWD with premium, climate, xenon, auto, and the 12 speaker Dolby stereo system to $31,600. So it's about the same price really.

Post some picks up il collaudatore, and congrats again. We've worked the safety aspect to death here, all 3 cars mentioned ARE comparable safety wise. Out of these 3 I still trust Subaru to be superior when it comes to engineering, safety and reliability but each to his own :)

• 6 years later...
Bringing this one back from the GRAVE!! OP, if your still on here, do you still have the S40? If so, how do you like it? Hows it holding up reliability wise? I found an 05 S40 T5 AWD w/ 110k for $7995 at a dealership that is tempting me, I'm just concerned about maintenance costs and reliability in the long run...

Archived